Reality Check: The Evolution of The Catholic Church

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Image

As time goes on we all change. Many may attempt to stay the same while others merely flow with time, thus transitioning rather than remaining static. While one may desire to stay with their own morals and ideologies it is healthy to look around the world as there is not one truth but many and truth in this way is subjective. Therefore, to truly understand the world and one’s self we must be open to change and difference of opinion because how can one be so certain of the truth?

In terms of the Catholic Church there has been much controversy over certain human rights in regards to religion. The debates mainly stem from certain ideologies that prohibit certain joys such as the freedom to marry whomever, divorce, and the freedom to be viewed as human in general. As the times have changed, particular immoralities have been illuminated in terms of the Bible and the views of the Catholic Church. Fortunately, Pope Francis recently called for the Catholic Church to be more inclusive than ever.

Pope Francis’ intention to create a more inclusive Catholic Church is very radical nonetheless; he stands firmly with his beliefs for the sake of humankind. Outlined in the Pope’s exhortation, “Amoris Laetitia”, is the call to love one another rather than exclude, as we are all one. His main concern branches off of the idea of family by stating that, “It is my hope that, in reading this text, all will feel called to love and cherish family life, for families are not a problem; they are first and foremost an opportunity”(page 6). This conveys that families should begin teaching the acceptance of others in terms of nontraditional families. He is choosing to work on families in order to change a less accepting perspective into an all-encompassing one.

However, there have been altercations within the liberal Catholic community as many feel the statements used in “Amoris Laetitia” are neither firm nor substantial for their liking. On the other side of the spectrum, conservative Catholics are likely to feel ambushed or confused as, “The document is likely to stir debate and disagreement among many Catholics, especially in interpreting the pope’s language explaining how priests should work with divorced and remarried Catholics to help them return to full standing in the church” (NYT).

There will never be a simple answer to all that ails us in the world. Yet, if we work together we are closer to having a solution that caters to all walks of life. Although Pope Francis may have taken a small step towards change, we have to believe this is just the beginning, as hopefully numerous people launch projects that allow for larger leaps leading towards love.  

________________

Note: This article is the perspective and opinion of the author and does not reflect the views of Her Campus Cal Lutheran or Her Campus Media. Thank you!

Ali Nibarger

Cal Lutheran

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!