etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Power of Halloween Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

“Play number seven!” I yelled to my brother. Our costumes were on and it wasn’t even Halloween quite yet, but the spirit was within us. The house was already decorated inside and out, and the candy meant for trick-or-treating was well hidden. This of course was courtesy of my mother who knew it would be gone if it was in our sight. “Play it again, come on!” He ran to the radio, yes the radio-that old thing that held CD’s, and restarted the song. What song you ask? It was the Addams Family theme song! Oh my, we sang along like no one was listening and we snapped our little fingers with the beat until they were sore. Something about music got my brother and I so amped up for any occasion, especially Halloween. “Who you gonna call?” I sang, to with which my brother shouted “Ghostbusters!

Halloween encompases horror movie marathons, pumpkin patch adventures, treats for days, and costumes galore! I love everything about Halloween traditions, and I never want to lose the carefree spirit for this holiday that my brother I had in our childhood. Music is the key for me. Here is a list of some songs that throw me back to my younger years that keep Halloween a timeless tradition! They are not in any specific order, I love them all!

1. “Purple People Eater”– Sheb Wooley

2. “I Put a Spell on You”– Bette Midler

3. “Addams Family Theme Song”– The Fiends

4. “Ghostbusters”– Ray Parker Jr.

5. “Thriller”– Michael Jackson

6. “Monster Mash”– Bobby “Boris” Pickett

7. “Banana Boat Song”– Harry Belafonte

8. “Time Warp”– Patricia Quinn, Richard O’Brien, Little Nell

9. “Hedwig’s Theme” (Harry Potter)– John Williams

10. “Superstition”– Stevie Wonder

11. “Witch Doctor”– David Seville and the Chipmunks

12. “Somebody’s Watching Me”– Rockwell

13. “Twilight Zone Intro Theme”– The Film Score Orchestra

14. “Grim Grinning Ghosts”– Ghosts

15. “This is Halloween”– Danny Elfman/The Citizens of Halloween

Lauren Rezak

Cal Lutheran

I am an Environmental Science major at California Lutheran University who also has a passion for art.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!