This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

We are finally here. It is March and it is Women’s History Month. This month obviously is important to me and every other woman in the world. It marks the start of 31 days that are devoted to looking at all of the barriers that all the women before us succeeded in breaking so that we could be where we are today, not only as women, but as a society in general.

With that being said, and with my track record of recently writing sports-based articles, I wanted to draw attention to a podcast that I’ve been listening to for the past year or so now. The podcast I am referring to is “How She Did It” with Amanda Smith. This podcast centers around celebrating the accomplishments and barriers that a variety of women in sports have made and broken in order to be where they are today, as well as highlighting their journeys to getting there. 

Bristol listen podcast music entertainment bristol
Photo by Austin Distel from Unsplash

I think this is such a great podcast and something that everyone, not just women or people who want to work in the sports industry, should listen to.  All of the women, and even Amanda herself, have amazing advice that can be applied to any aspect of life. It showcases the different pathways that everyone can take and that we all have a different path that will be taken in order to get to the same, or similar, end goals. It’s an extremely motivating podcast that inspires me every time I listen and gives me the confidence I need to continue pursuing my dream of working in sports as a reporter, analyst, and journalist.

Amanda is also a very inspiring host as well. She has tirelessly worked her way and put a lot of effort into becoming the analyst and host she is as well. Amanda is an analyst for the Pac-12 Network and ESPN 700 WBB, along with being the host of the “How She Did It” podcast. She also just recently started co-hosting another podcast, “1 in 5”, with Trey Moses, where they advocate mental health and having there be transparency of it in the sports world. Amanda is always transparent through her social media as well, which is why I think her podcast, and her presence as a host, really shines and makes both podcasts such a great listen. She’s very much like that amazing older sister who gives you advice and lifts you up, even if you feel down or have no confidence in yourself. She creates a safe space in the podcast and on her social media for everyone, not just women or those involved in sports.

Pixabay
I really hope that you all take the time to go out and listen to the “How She Did It” podcast by Amanda Smith because it really does a great job at showcasing the journeys of a variety of women who give great advice that can be applied to all aspects of life.

Ariana Salinas

Cal Lutheran '25

Student at Cal Lutheran University majoring in Sports Communications. Aspiring sideline reporter with a passion for journalism, art, and fashion.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!