This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Jacqueline in Venice, Italy

From Chatsworth, California, Jacqueline Jelloian, a third year student here at Cal Lutheran, opens up about her semester spent at Oxford University in England. Jelloian stays dedicated toward her education; being a political science major with a minor in business administration makes it no surprise that she wanted to go abroad to such a prestigious university. While staying motivated in her areas of study, Jelloian keeps active on campus taking part in the University Honors Program, Pi Sigma Alpha, and spends her Monday nights playing intramural volleyball!  

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: What made you decide to study abroad?

Jacqueline Jelloian: I’ve always loved to travel, so I always knew it would be a possibility, and then in high school my AP French class did a trip to France during spring break, and I absolutely loved it. That was when I decided that I definitely wanted to study abroad.From left to right: Luther McPherson, Morgan McCormick, Katelyn Dembowski, Dr. (Michael) Brint, Tess Tait, Amanda Hutchinson, Rebecca Austin, Alison Cervelli, Gina Domergue, Jacqueline Jelloian, Nick Holder, Sean Nobuta, and Christopher Hanna

HCCLU: Why did you choose the Oxford program?

JJ: Honestly, everything with the Oxford program fell into place so perfectly. First and foremost was the fact that I would actually get to study at Oxford. That’s such a privilege, and the fact that it was actually a possibility was so incredible, I had to check out the program. And then once I looked into it more, I saw a lot of other things I liked as well. The travel seminar looked really interesting, I liked that it was a program with other CLU students, and I knew I wanted to be abroad in the fall, which is when this program is offered. I also found it comforting that a professor goes with you. And so I thought I’d give it a try.

HCCLU: What is the application process like to be involved in it?

JJ: The whole application process was a bit intimidating. I had heard how difficult of a program it is to get into, and so I really didn’t know what the verdict was going to be. There were two rounds of applications; the first was fairly straightforward, and then the second was more extensive, including essays and things like that. Then after that, there was an interview process as well. That was probably the most intimidating, just because I knew that was really my chance to make a good impression. And that was the first time I met Dr. Brint, so I was really hoping that would go well. And thankfully, it did.

HCCLU: What was the schooling like at Oxford? What did your daily schedule look like?

JJ: All the classes were tutorial style, which means they were about an hour long, once a week. So there wasn’t actually too much time spent in class. That doesn’t mean we had too much time to ourselves, though. Oxford classes definitely keep you busy! Most of my days consisted of research and writing papers, so I would usually rotate between going to the library, coffee shops, and my dorm to get my work done. And then maybe about twice a week we had activities that Dr. Brint planned for the group, like punting on the river or going to see King Lear in Stratford-Upon-Avon. So we always had those types of things to look forward to as well. Jacqueline Jelloian and Rebecca Austin punting on the River Thames in Oxford, England

HCCLU: Where did you go within the Oxford program? Did you do any traveling by yourself?

JJ: The whole second half of the program is traveling, so we went to tons of places. We stayed in Venice, Rome, Florence, Paris, and London, and there was a two-week cruise in the middle of all that as well, and that had stops in Pompeii, Sicily, Palma de Mallorca, Cartagena, Gibraltar, Lisbon, Cadiz, Ibiza, Barcelona, and Toulon. And then after the program ended I traveled an extra for two and half weeks before heading back home. My mom, Linda Jelloian, flew out and met me in London, so we stayed there for a few days. I got to take her back to Oxford for a day trip, which was great. I was so happy I got to go back there, and that I was able to show her around the city I had spent the most time in. After that we got on a transatlantic cruise, so we literally sailed across the Atlantic for the first week, and then the second week we had stops in Boston, New York, Orlando, and Miami. And then we flew home from Miami.   Amanda Hutchinson, Jacqueline Jelloian, and Rebecca Austin at the Trevi Fountain in Rome, Italy

HCCLU: If you could give a piece of advice for those students who will be going to Oxford in the Fall, what would you say?

JJ: Oh, gosh, so many things. Don’t pack too much! Whatever you’re thinking you might need, you probably don’t need. And take lots of pictures! Especially when you’re at Oxford. During that part of the program I think I was so preoccupied with classes and just life in England that I wasn’t taking the normal touristy pictures. And then when I got back home I realized I had tons of pictures from the second half of the trip, but barely any from Oxford!

Also, I’d tell them not to take any of it for granted. It really is a privilege to be a part of this program, and that’s not something that should be forgotten. Ever. So really try to do well in the classes, appreciate the places that you’re visiting, and really soak it all up, because it’s just the most amazing couple of months you can imagine.

HCCLU: Where was your favorite place you visited and why?

JJ: (Oxford was definitely my favorite but I talk about that in question 11 so I don’t want to be repetitive. So I’ll talk about my favorite place during the traveling part, if that works J) 

My favorite place during the traveling portion was Paris. I’ve wanted to go back there ever since my first visit back in high school. I just love that city. I was able to practice my French again, which was fun. And I think part of the reason I like it so much there is because I spent so long studying the language and the culture, so it’s fun to actually get to go and experience it firsthand. And both the city and the language are absolutely beautiful.

HCCLU: What was your favorite part of the program as a whole?

JJ: My favorite part of the program was definitely getting to be a student at Oxford. Just walking around, heading to class, and thinking of all the brilliant minds who studied there before you–it was just the most humbling experience. Truly an honor. And the same goes for studying under Oxford dons. It’s such a privilege. Studying there is something I will always be grateful for, and I’ll never forget it.Jacqueline Jelloian, Rebecca Austin, and Amanda Hutchinson exploring the forest just outside C.S. Lewis’s home (The Kilns) in Oxford, England

HCCLU: Anything you’d like to add?

JJ: Just that I definitely recommend this program to anyone who is thinking of applying! It’s absolutely worthwhile. I can’t even express how grateful I am that I got to go, so if it’s something that anyone is even slightly considering, it’s worth heading over to the Study Abroad Office to see if it might be a good fit.

Andrea Lopez

Cal Lutheran

Andrea is a sophomore at California Lutheran University. She's currently trying out many different career paths, driven by her creative passions to help people. She's a dreamer who has the discipline to turn these dreams into her reality. The moment she starts thinking rationally is the moment she has lost all hope. Andrea believes in being irrational, and taking risks. She cares to travel the world in the hope to be exposed to as many viewpoints as possible. Andrea wants to help people live the lives they desire. She believes in the insane kind of love, the one that drives you crazy. She believes deeply in Jay Gatsby and Peter Parker. Andrea is an artist at heart and a scientist by nature. She wants it all. She wants to make an impact.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!