tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Open Letter to My Friends Back at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Dear Friends Back at Home,

I think the feelings are mutual. We are definitely not as close as we use to be, but it makes sense right? I am in California and you all, well let’s just say you are scattered around the United States. We spoke about staying close and remaining good friends for the rest of our lives, I guess we were young and naïve then. High school allowed for our friendship to remain intact because we saw each other five days out of the week. What we did not know was how greatly our lives were going to change in the next chapter of our existence.

Image courtesy of One Hug a Day

We were by each other’s sides until the end of summer, making sure to head to the airport to say goodbye to one another. A new feeling emerged within us. The realization that we were all headed to different colleges, going in blind with no one familiar by our side to help us get through it, started to hit and boy was it a scary thing to think about. A brand new school meant new friends, new surroundings, new classes…just new everything. Although it was intimidating, there was a refreshing thrill to it all, too. We kept in touch for the first couple of months, updating each other on college life and even sent out a cute postcard or little care package occasionally. Winter break wasn’t too far away and in the back of our minds we knew we would all be home and reunited soon.

To be home with everyone was such a wonderful feeling. Numerous stories and laughs were shared and if felt just like the good old times. However, winter break came and went and we were back to our respective “homes.” Things began to change then. We were all fully adjusted to our new lives and soon the frequent group texts together and late night phone calls subsided. We had new people that we now saw seven days a week instead of five, had roommates that we shared a living space with, and were exposed to new activities, clubs, and organizations.

Image courtesy of Seventeen

It is understandable to see where everything began to fade. I know we are all happy for one another and wish everyone the best of luck on all future endeavors. It is not only ourselves who changed, it is all of us who did in many different ways. Although we sometimes secretly ache to be back with our college friends and life when we come home for the summer and other breaks, it is still nice to see each and every one of you. In the years to come, I think we know we may be seeing less and less of each other but you will always remain close in my heart no matter what and I hope that you can say the same. Thank you for all the wonderful moments we shared and for memories that I will never forget.

Cover image courtesy of Odyssey

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!