This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Doxies, wiener dogs, sausages, badger dogs, troublemakers. Whatever you might call them, everyone is familiar with the unmistakable Dachshund breed. Sometimes they get a bad rap. Sure, they can be a bit aggressive with strangers, and will gladly do a bit of biting if they think it is necessary. They might be stubborn and, well, almost impossible to train. But behind all those tiny teeth and stubby legs, there’s a lot about Dachshunds to love.

When I was 6 and finishing kindergarten, my dad decided to get me my very own dog. Our old beagle belonged to my older brother in a lot of ways, so my family thought I deserved my own little canine companion. The first time I saw my little girl, Daisy, she was running into her first owner’s house with a giant twig in her mouth. We instantly knew she was the one for us. She looked so sweet and innocent at that moment, though we soon learned that was just an act.

Now, I stand by the fact that my dachshunds have always been perfect little angels, but they may like to cause problems every once in a while. Daisy chewed up everything and anything. She would bark incessantly, warning us of everything from the mailman to the smallest bird in the yard. If she got out the front door, she would sprint down the street fast enough to win the famous Weenie Races. Dachshunds are little balls of energy, ready to do everything except listen to your commands. She could be a handful, but she was still my best friend. Those quiet moments at night, with her burrowed under the blankets in my bed (a classic Dachshund habit!) and cuddled up against me were some of the happiest moments of my childhood. 

When we lost our basset hound — a breed I like to say is simply a larger version of Dachshund in both build and stubbornness — we decided to double the number of troublemakers in the house. Soon came Chester, a long-haired doxie pup crazier than I ever remember Daisy being. Daisy was getting old, and though he often annoyed her, she liked having him around to play with, to keep her young. They loved to get into trouble together; they would get into trash cans, wake the whole neighborhood with their high-pitched barking, and even chewed a giant hole in our couch. Chester and Daisy quickly became best friends — dachshunds are known for their loyalty.

red dog collar
Genuine Canine

Dachshunds are a very popular dog breed. Once you gain their trust, they are very sociable, and when you form a connection with them, it can never be broken. Pablo Picasso met his muse in the 50s — a dachshund named Lump. He was Picasso’s best friend for many years and inspired his art. It’s hard not to be influenced by dachshunds, as they have dynamic personalities and larger-than-life presences. Although they can be stubborn and feisty, they can still be the sweetest pups. It’s hard not to fall in love with them. 

All these years with dachshunds have been the very best. They’re full of energy and attitude, always by your side and always barking their heads off. When we lost our Daisy recently, we could all feel the huge, doxie-shaped hole she left behind. She was my best friend for 14 years, working hard every day to look after our family. Even though it’s been hard without her, we’re still thankful for every moment we had together. I am a dog person, and I love every dog I meet, yet dachshunds will always hold a special place in my heart. They’re truly the best dogs in the world. 

Caroline Lopez

Cal Lutheran '23

Hello! My name is Caroline and I’m an English major at California Lutheran University. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California, and love spending time going to the beach and traveling around the state. I am a passionate book nerd who spends all her free time reading the classics, watching old movies, and writing!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!