This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Halloween: the only day when it’s acceptable (and expected) for you to not be yourself. It’s easily one of my favorite holidays and I can’t imagine not dressing up. I thought my peers would feel the same way, but for some reason every Halloween I’m one of the few people who actually dress up! From elementary school to college, I’ve noticed a significant decrease in the amount of people who wear a costume. Let’s try to change that.

I could sit here and wonder why older people don’t dress up for Halloween, but we all know the reason. Dressing up isn’t ‘cool’ after you turn 14. Apparently I missed that memo, but I digress. Just because you can’t go trick or treating anymore doesn’t mean that the fun should end there! There are a multitude of events that you can still dress up and go to. These events, in my opinion, are even better than the trick or treating you did as a child. 

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash

If you’re anything like me, you too grew up watching or reading Harry Potter and have always wanted to attend Hogwarts. Well, our time has finally come. This year, Cal Lutheran is turning the campus into our very own Hogwarts! Personally, I think that this is a great idea because it takes the stress of picking a costume off of people’s shoulders. You can dress up in various ways too! Wear a cloak, don your house colors, or draw a lightning bolt on your forehead, add circle glasses and call it a day! You can be as vague as you want to be with your costume, or you can be more specific and embody your favorite character. Students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to participate, and there is a signup sheet online. According to the announcement by Cal Lutheran, there will also be Hogwarts related activities on campus too. 

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash  

This year, Disneyland is hosting an Oogie Boogie Bash. Regardless of your age, this is a fun opportunity to go out with some friends and enjoy the happiest place in the world… while dressed up. I’ve been to Disneyland during this time, and I highly recommend going. There are areas around the park for people to trick or treat, there are more niche characters, and there’s a Halloween-themed parade! This year the theme is focused more on Disney villains and it’s being hosted by Oogie Boogie from Nightmare Before Christmas. If you can’t go to the event this year, mark your calendars for next year (trust me, it’s totally worth it). 

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash

If going out isn’t your cup of tea, then feel free to dress up among friends and plan something on a smaller scale. Group costumes are always fun to plan with friends, so try to have fun with the planning process. A DIY-costume making night before Halloween is a great activity to do with friends! On Halloween night, wear your costumes, grab a bite to eat somewhere, and watch Halloween movies for the rest of the evening. If staying in is more up your alley, then this is a great idea! 

Whether you decide to dress up or not, all that matters is that you enjoy the holiday. Use this as an opportunity to express your creativity or to represent your favorite fandoms. Even if you don’t want to go all out with your costume, throw something together with items of clothing that you already own! Have a safe and happy Halloween!

Kayomi Kayoshi

Cal Lutheran '20

Hello! I’m a writer for Her Campus!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!