This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

If you’re like me, you’re probably in your fall semester of the school year and stressing over the workload that life is throwing at you right now. I have been stressed and overworked for a while, and I haven’t taken the time to sit down and listen to something I love most – music. I haven’t been able to actually listen to any new music, which is something I’ve been wanting to do. I’ve recently had the urge to make a new playlist and listen to new or forgotten songs that will rejuvenate and inspire me to finish strong with both my work and school. So, after Midnights by Taylor Swift was released last Thursday night, I sat down and crafted a playlist based on some new music that I was able to enjoy.

MIDNIGHTS by Taylor Swift

Okay, I’m sorry for starting with the most OBVIOUS recommendation but her album is perfect. It gave me Folklore vibes mixed with 1989 and a hint of Reputation sprinkled into all of the songs. I’ve always been a Swiftie and if you aren’t please exit out of this… just kidding! But seriously, listen to the 3 A.M. edition and you got a perfect setlist for a MIDNIGHT (hahaha see what I did there?) drive or a chilled evening alone. 

CHARLIE by Charlie Puth

I was genuinely unaware that this actually dropped at the beginning of October…oops. Charlie Puth has always been a great singer and I’ve always loved the genre of music he puts out. His album Voicenotes will always live rent-free in my head and my shower-singing vocabulary. His new album was long-awaited and is fun, fresh, and shows us who Charlie really is. Please give it a listen, trust me! 

RIBBON AROUND THE BOMB by Blossoms

Yet another album that I was unaware of that came out recently… Blossoms is an English pop band with an indie rock vibe. I’ve been listening to Blossoms since my sophomore year of high school and they always seem to surprise me with their new music. Make sure you listen to the deluxe edition of the album because it truly feels as if you’re in a coming-of-age movie in New York City. 

PEOPLE IN MOTION by Dayglow

Sloan Struble (a.k.a Dayglow), you’ve done it again…you’ve made me fall hard for your music! I’m totally not going to be biased but I did get to see him live in Los Angeles and let me tell you, this man is a genius! People in motion still has the vibes of FuzzyBrain and Harmony House, but it carries a more upbeat tune and meaningful lyrics that are worth the listen. 

UNCANNY VALLEY by COIN

The album that dropped in March of this year is yet another great job COIN has done with its music. Uncanny Valley has pop and rock vibes while creating more technical and energizing songs such as Chapstick or Cutie. Definitely not a newly released album, but one that I always end up going back and listening to. Did I mention I got to see them live in San Francisco this year? 

TELL ME THAT IT’s OVER by Wallows

My friends and I impulse-bought Wallows tickets a week before they were scheduled to play in Santa Barbara, and let me tell you that was the best decision ever! This album shows the growth Wallows has made in their music and sets yet another coming-of-age vibe. Some of my favorite songs from the album are Especially you, Hard to Believe, and Marvelous. 

I am absolutely terrible at finding new music, so in a way, this was a miracle. I am not kidding, I will always say that “I need to make a new playlist, I don’t like my old one anymore” or “I’m so tired of these songs, I need new ones!” and then I WON’T make it until months after haha. So I hope you like my recommendations, but remember they are entirely my opinion! Let me know if you ever end up listening to them!

Olivia Madera

Cal Lutheran '25

Hi, my name is Olivia Madera and I'm a writer/editor for Her Campus Cal Lutheran! I'm majoring in communications (with an emphasis in journalism) and minoring in film/tv. I love to read, write, bake, and travel (especially to the beach)!