Make This Winter Break one to Remember

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Thanksgiving break has come and gone, almost like a sneak peek of what winter break has in store. What did you do over Thanksgiving break? Winter break is time to spend with family and to not worry about school or classes; it’s time to make you winter break amazing!  Enough of the bucket list that never seems possible, it’s time to accomplish something. The most memorable winter break experiences I have are a result of accomplishing something, and with little distraction, there is a lot that can get done.  You may think this is all easy to say but actually finding things to do over winter break can be difficult. Thankfully I have a list of ideas on what you can do over winter break that cost little to nothing. 

1. Take up reading, yes this may sound cliche and boring, however, if you find the right book(s) it can be rewarding and educational. 

2. Find something you are passionate about.  If you are passionate about making movies or film editing, try starting a youtube channel. 

3. If you are into making music, try writing your own songs and recording them. 

4. Spend time with the people you love, do fun activities with your friends or families.  Some things that are super fun to do with friends and family is to go hiking, there are great trails everywhere, and they are just one Google search away (some of my favorite hiking trail are Angels Landing in Utah and Echo Mountain in California). 5. Explore Big Bear. Big Bear has a lot of great activities like sledding, skiing, and snowboarding, or even just walking around and enjoying the views (Big Bear is also great for holiday pictures) it’s like a Christmas village over at Big Bear, and it’s a place everyone should visit at least once. 

6. Enjoy the Christmas lights; the festival of lights has amazing light displays and great food. 

7. Go ice skating, there are ice skating rinks all around and there are not expensive but is something that is great to do with friends. 

8. Have a sleepover or holiday party. 

9. Try cooking new recipes with friends.

Enjoying your winter break doesn’t have to be expensive, in fact, it doesn’t have to cost anything. Being with loved ones and trying something new can make the difference between having a boring winter break or having an epic one.

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!