This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Being a first generation, minority student at Cal Lutheran has been both difficult and rewarding. As a first generation Hispanic student, I have had a very different experience transitioning into college than other students have. Being first-gen does not belittle me or my educational accomplishments thus far, it just means that I’ve had to take a few extra steps along the way.

Going from a diverse high school setting, to a school where I am considered a minority has been emotional in ways that I never imagined. The first few weeks of my first semester, while I was full of excitement, I was also met with feelings of isolation. As I walked around campus as an official college student, I saw very few people that looked like me, that being a person of color. I knew very few people on campus and even then, they were not with me every time I was on campus, making my experience even more nerve racking. College is a time to form new friendships, relationships and to expand our network, something that I was well aware of, yet I couldn’t help feeling like an outsider. I felt that I had no one who could relate to the huge change I was taking and that if I expressed my isolation and frustration with faculty or professors, there would be a very small chance for someone to understand what I was feeling.  

It was difficult coming into a new environment and not having anyone to relate to. While I was still outgoing and as social as a commuting student can be, I still felt like something was missing in my experience. After I got a feel for my new routine and the new environment, I decided to focus on my needs and separate my insecurities from my life.

I continue to work hard while leaning on my family and the amazing family I have met through Student Support Services. I am still a firm believer that representation matters and that it makes such a difference, especially on college campuses. The high standards Cal Lutheran places on inclusivity is one of the reasons I chose this campus for the next four years. Being that Cal Lutheran is now recognized as a Hispanic Serving Institution shows that minorities are gaining recognition and even more support. If minority populations everywhere are encouraged and given the resources to pursue a post-secondary education from a young age, we would not be considered minorities on college campuses.

I am beyond proud of myself for all that I have learned being a first-generation student. I could not be more thankful for the support and encouragement I have found through faculty at Cal Lutheran. Recognizing the struggles and transition that first-gen minority students experience is key to removing the isolated gap so many of us experience. Advocating for minority representation across all professional areas in our society is one of the many first steps needed to eliminate stigmas surrounding the minority population.

Hi my name is Laura Reyes! I'm majoring in Criminal Justice and Psychology at Cal Lutheran.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!