“Loving Him Was Red” Songs I’m Excited to Hear on Taylor Swift’s Red (Taylor’s Version)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

By the time this article is published, the world will experience Taylor Swift’s revised version of her album Red. This may sound a little dramatic to some, but I truly believe the world is about to have a cultural reset this fall. Think about the time you heard “I Knew You Were Trouble” for the first time on the radio in 2012. I remember listening to that song and becoming hooked. Of course, I didn’t have any major breakups to cry and sing about but Taylor really made my 12-year-old self think that Jake Gyllenhaal broke my heart. That’s saying something. 

Anyway, I am siked beyond words for Taylor’s revised version of Red. Not only are we going to get enhanced vocals and awesome featuring artists such as Phoebe Bridgers, but we’re also getting a short film starring Sadie Sink and Dylan O’Brien for “All Too Well”. How exciting! For me, I have a few songs that I’m especially excited to hear Taylor revise! For my article, I’ll be sharing five of my favorite songs from the Red album that I’m the most excited to hear on the new revised album (in no specific order)!

I hope you know that every time I don’t, I almost do. 

“I Almost Do” is probably one of the most personable songs on the red album, to me at least. Swift speaks about the reality of relationship breakups or friendship breakups. One has to learn the reality that you can no longer speak to your previous significant other anymore, no matter how much it hurts. Even when one wants to speak to them, the reality that the relationship ended for a reason kicks in and knocks down all hope and possibility one might think of, and I just think that’s so relatable. 

And we were dancing, dancing like we’re made of starlight.

“Starlight” puts you in a magical scene like none other. I absolutely love how this song tells the story about two young lovers meeting at a dance in the summer of ‘45. Lyrics such as “oh, we could get married. Have ten kids and teach them how to dream” make me romanticize the characters in the song so much! 

But sometimes, I wonder how you think about it now and I see your face in every crowd.

“Holy Ground” speaks to all of us who find ourselves reminiscing about the past way more than we should after relationships end. Hearing Swift set the scene with lyrics like, “I was reminiscing just the other day while having coffee alone and Lord, it took me away.” Wow, Taylor. Way to call me out like that! I love listening to this song when I feel like reminiscing or just when I need a great song to sing along to. 

It was rare, I was there, I remember it all too well.

taylor swift text message lyric 1
Original photo by Anna Dao

“All Too Well” Would this be a proper article about Red if I didn’t include this iconic song??? I mean, Taylor had my 12-year-old self screaming “you call me up again just to break me like a promise” SO loud in my room! Even now, I keep that same energy with this song because Swift is so vulnerable about her past relationship with Gyllenhaal to the point where we feel like we are the ones going through the breakup. I can’t wait to hear what Taylor does with this song in the revised version!

Touching him was like realizing all you ever wanted was right there in front of you.

“Red” shows how colors can really showcase our emotions. Red has always been the color for love (thanks to Valentine’s Day) but in this song, Swift shows that even though loving someone felt like red after the relationship ends, you realize it was dark grey all along, how poetic of the sis!! I’m super pumped to sing the revised version on the top of my lungs!

Even though I picked out five songs to showcase, I’m honestly super pumped to sing along to all of Taylor’s revised versions of the Red songs so don’t worry! I’m so ready to unlock some new emotions in this “sad girl fall,” thanks to Swift!

Elysia Williams

Cal Lutheran '22

HI! My name is Elysia but you can call me Sia for short. I am a leader of Delight Ministries at Cal Lutheran and a writer for Her Campus. In my free time, I am usually with my friends or family making memories.