This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Local Planned Parenthood set afire Wednesday night has been determined to be arson.

The fire is reported to have taken place around 11:30pm on September 30th at West Hillcrest Drive in Thousand Oaks– approximately four miles away from the California Lutheran Campus. No one is reported to be injured and damage to the building and surrounding property is minimal. Authorities declared it arson Thursday morning.

Authorities reported a rock was used to break a window and then flammable fluid was administered. An open flame was the source of the fire. The buildings sprinkler system was then activated and contained the damage to one room. Water damage was unavoidable and a restoration service was onsite Thursday morning to drain the excess fluid.

Potential patients seeking medical care were left without care Thursday morning as the clinic remained closed following the investigation. Amidst police officers and various news crews, a cleaning and restoration service was seen on site repairing the interior damage. Media were not permitted to record at this time.

Representatives of the clinic were not available for comments Thursday morning and referred all media to their prepared statement from CEO Jenna Tosh, “Our commitment today, and always, is to the health and safety of our patients and staff.” There has been no official word as to when the clinic will resume its hours of operation.

The House of Representatives voted Tuesday 241-185 to defund Planned Parenthood but the movement awaits Senate approval. Planned Parenthood provides 2.7 million men and women with healthcare services and information a year. According to their official website, 80 percent of their clients receive services to prevent unintended pregnancy. Additionally they provide approximately 4.5 million tests and treatments for sexually transmitted infections.

This act of arson comes six weeks after a vandalism incident and a week after a video of Planned Parenthood executives allegedly discussing the selling of fetal tissue and body parts for profit. Patricio Gonzalez, an onsite protestor of the Hillcrest Planned Parenthood site expressed his views on the issue, “Pro-life groups already knew this…But now they (Planned Parenthood) are exposing themselves. The truth is out there.” Gonzalez stood next to the property with a sign that read “Ask 2 See the Ultrasound” in protest of the clinics abortion services. 

According to their official website, only three percent of the Planned Parenthood services provided are related to abortion. Planned Parenthood also provides patients with general health care, emergency contraception, STD testing treatment and vaccines, birth control, pregnancy testing services, and women’s health care.

For Further information on Planned Parenthood or to book an appointment, please refer to their website: plannedparenthood.org

Cover Image courtesy of Buzzfeed. Image of window broken courtesy of ABC7 News. Image of protestor’s sign courtesy of HC Cal Lutheran writer Hailey Weyer.

Hi, I'm a Communications major and sophomore at California Lutheran University. I consider myself five feet of sarcastic pep. I'm very excited about Her Campus and having the ability to write about my passions!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!