This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

We can all agree that right now is a very odd time. There is a lot of change in our routines, which brings confusion, along with anxiety, about the situation and boredom from staying at home. For those who are seniors, it is a particularly sad time as their “lasts” got taken from them too soon and too quickly. My heart goes out to you, as I can’t imagine what that must feel like. Although what we are experiencing right now is not something any of us would volunteer for, nor is it something “fun,” self-isolation or staying at home is the best thing to do not just for ourselves, but for others around us, and this time will soon pass by and be a memory. 

During this period, it can be easy to think negatively: to think of all the things you can’t do, the people you can’t see, and opportunities you may be missing. I know I have personally thought of all these things in the last few days, and every time I do, my heart sinks a little. I lose the motivation to get off my bed from watching Netflix and do something. My whole mood changes, which isn’t fair to my family, who I am isolating with, as it then affects their mood, and then we all feel “urgh.”

So I have been trying to change the way I think, taking each day as it comes and not thinking into the unknown as it only makes me anxious. I wanted to share with you how I’m now choosing to think to change it from being negative to positive.

Spring Flowers Pink Summer Warm Weather Season Color Bloom Beautiful Trees Flowers Life Happy Bright Fun Outside Outdoors Calm
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus

1. I’m Thankful For Time with My Family

Like many of you, I am at the stage in my life where everything changes. Who knows how many years or months I have left with a bedroom at home that I can call mine? When I eventually move out and into my own place, I know that I will miss living at home with my family as my roommates. As much as they may drive me crazy at times (who doesn’t experience this?), I am thankful and consider myself lucky. It’s a time to treasure because one day I’ll miss it.

2. Reconnecting with Friends 

Now, I’m no longer running around campus from my classes to my job to club meetings, and I can no longer go out and eat food or do activities such as go to the mall (which is making me save money!). It is allowing me to reconnect with my friends and chat with them more. I now have time to Facetime and send funny memes and videos that I otherwise wouldn’t do, and I am really enjoying it. 

3. Appreciating Nature 

Now more than ever, we are going outside and appreciating what we have around us. As other activities have closed, we are left with limited options to entertain ourselves. Either we can stay inside and hang out, or we can go outside for a walk or a trip to the beach, getting some fresh air, feeling the sun on our faces, and seeing the sights we may be missing. *But remember to stay 6 feet away from others*

Averie Woodard

4. Pollution is Getting Better

Due to business, industrial sites, and factories closing, the pollution levels around the world have dropped, especially in China and Italy. In fact, nitrogen dioxide chemicals have fallen in China by 40% from December to March. And in Italy, the Venice Canals water is clearing, and fish can be seen! Even in LA, the smog is disappearing as the roads are emptying. In the midst of the gloom, these statistics and sights are something we should be celebrating and recognizing how much pollution there is in our world. 

5. Appreciating the Little Things 

Since I’ve been in isolation, I have started enjoying the little things and the freedom that we are lucky enough to have in this country. Beforehand, days would seem so dull if I went out to the grocery store, and that was it. Now, I would love a trip to the grocery store where I’m not worried about germs and getting close to other shoppers. This experience has helped put “normality” into perspective, and I don’t think I will ever complain about a boring trip to the grocery store again. 

Trying to think positively will help us all in this situation. There are a lot of scary facts and unknowns which are out of our control. But what we can control is how we think about it. I promise that if you start to think of it in this way, you will feel better. Take this time to look after yourself, organize your space, and reach out to others that you may have lost connection with.

Rosie Baker

Cal Lutheran '21

Writing Director and Senior Editor for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. I am in my senior year completing a communication major and creative writing minor. Born and raised in England, I am a British girl California living who loves all things Disney, Friends, and beach related.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!