This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

I have been involved in the beauty pageant world for 6 years. I started when I was 14 and I have not looked back since. In 8th grade, I moved across the country from Florida to California. I was, as every 13 year old is, awkward and shy, and I had a difficult time adjusting to my new surroundings. After being in California for about 2 weeks I checked the mail and there was a letter addressed to my mom about having me join a beauty pageant. I, of course, had my judgments but decided I would go and interview for it and see what happens. Much to my surprise, I was accepted! In my age group there were about 80 other girls, I was way in over my head! I wore almost no makeup, my hair was in its full curly-frizzy mess, and I walked on that stage as if I knew what I was doing. Looking back, I cannot believe how confident I was. At that age, I was not overly worried about what I looked like. I did not win but that did not matter at all to me.

Makeup products
Photo by Raphael Lovaski on Unsplash
About a year later, I decided to interview for a major state pageant. When the day came, I begged my mom not to make me go because I did not feel that I was of any competition. My mom, being the most supportive woman ever, changed the interview date and let me cool off for a few days before telling me. Round two came and I still did not want to go. My mom convinced me that if we got there and I did not want to walk in, we did not have to. I went in and was beyond nervous. I had only one pageant under my belt, but I realized the worst thing they could do is say no.

In January of 2013, I stood, at the age of 14, on the stage surrounded by women 14-23 all striving for the same crown. These girls had several luggage bags, some were just for their shoes and several were usually for their makeup. I was clearly under prepared. Did you know butt glue was a necessity for pageants? I had no idea! Also, there are specific shoes that are referred to as “the pageant shoes”, but no one will tell you this, you just have to learn from those around you. These girls all had so many tips and tricks because they have been doing this for years and here I am, youngest girl in the pageant, ready to see what happens knowing I had nothing to risk!

I went on stage and did my best. I had confidence in myself which I had not felt before. All of these people are looking at me in a swimsuit and I am getting an applause? I was proud. I knew my name would not be called for top 10, but I was content with that.

This was about the time that I realized I did not fit into the beauty pageant stereotype and I decided I would never let myself. I was different. I am not 6″ tall, I am not blonde, I do not come from an overly wealthy family that is able to buy me expensive dresses and the best coaches. It was here that I decided if I was going to continue with pageants that I would make sure I remained true to myself and who I am.

Strong Arms Girl
Her Campus Media
I then went on to do the same pageant the following year. I had watched the other girls and felt a lot more prepared. I got the right shoes, I got the butt glue, I had training, and I was confident in myself. I went on to compete again at the age of 15 and still I was not as ready as these other girls. When talking to them, I learned that many have placed Top 5 four years in a row and were ready get crowned this year. These girls are here to win and I was there to have fun and get myself out of my comfort zone. Again, I did not win but there are girls who I am still friends with. I have them all on social media and I have seen them grow as well and they are all confident and beautiful because of that.

I later went on to win 2 pageants that I will never forget. I was Miss Sacramento 2016, my senior year of high school, and Miss Northern California 2014. I have also competed in a State Pageant as Miss Paradise Teen and Miss Sierra Mountains Teen. All that I have gained is confidence and strength with a few scholarships along the way. The interview skills I have now are beyond anything that you can be taught. I have been interviewed by celebrities and many cutting-edge people in the fashion industry. I have no fear when it comes to public speaking. I have gained so much from pageants and many would be so surprised by the real life skills that can be learned in this kind of setting.

The women who participate in them are stronger than you may think. Many girls do them for confidence, some do them for scholarships, and yes, some will do them for superficial reasons.

girls in skirts
Photo by Photographe EVJF GREG on Unsplash
Women should not be torn down for being in pageants and expressing themselves in the way that they do. Not every girl is in a pageant because they “know they are pretty”. Pageants have shaped who I am and I always try to convince others to look at pageants in a different light. 

Francheska Cal

Cal Lutheran '20

Francheska is a Senior at California Lutheran University and is President of Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. She is majoring in Interdisciplinary Educational Studies with a minor in Psychology. Francheska imagines herself as a second grade teacher in an elementary school within the next 5 years in the Los Angeles area.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!