Let’s Dance With Madison Kohn!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Name: Madison Kohn

Year: Junior

Major: TV/Film Production 

Hometown: Minnesota 

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: Why did you choose Cal Lu? 

Madison Kohn: “I chose Cal Lu because I wanted to be at a school that was close to Los Angeles for work. The first time I stepped onto this campus I felt at home.” 

HCCLU: What got you started in dance? 

MK: “I started to dance when I was really little. I actually played a lot of sports throughout my childhood up until I started to dance competitively around 4th grade. I love performing, so it was natural for me to fall in love with something that would allow me to be on stage.”

HCCLU: Did you dance before you came to Cal Lu? 

Madison: “Yes! I have been dancing for about 17 years in jazz, tap, ballet, hiphop, contemporary, and musical theatre which mainly came from my high school experience at the Saint Paul Conservatory for Performing Artists where I studied musical theatre.” 

HCCLU: How did you hear about the dance team? 

MK: “I wasn’t on the dance team my freshman year because I didn’t know much about it coming into Cal Lu. Once I saw them perform for the first time, I knew I needed to be a part of it! So I went to a bunch of the open practices that we offer on Sunday nights and got to dance with them at a basketball game. I remember being so nervous to dance with the team, but they made me feel extremely supported and the experience ultimately made me want to join the team! I auditioned in the Spring of 2015 and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.” 

HCCLU: How has being on the dance team affected your Cal Lutheran experience? 

MK: “The dance team has affected my Cal Lutheran experience in ways that I never knew it could. I have met some of my closest friends and have had so many amazing opportunities performing for CLU supporters with a hard working group of women. Being on the dance team has definitely made me a stronger student, leader, and dancer. It is so much fun to dance with girls that share the same passion and dedication for this sport on and off the field.” 

HCCLU: What is your favorite type of dance?

MK: “My favorite type of dance is probably jazz because it is a very sassy style and I get to pretend I’m Britney Spears for the 2-3 minutes we are out on the field or in the gym for halftime performances.”  

HCCLU: What kind of competitions do you compete in? 

MK: “Unfortunately we can only afford to go to one dance competition in the Spring in Anaheim, CA. We attend the USA Collegiate Championships and compete against various division II/III schools for titles. Last year we won second place in hip-hop without a coach! We are working extremely hard towards winning more titles this year for the team and Cal Lutheran.”   

HCCLU: Do you have a favorite dance you did at the showcase?  

MK: “My favorite dance was probably “All That Jazz” because it was inspired by Bob Fosse who is a famous choreographer. His style is so fun to perform because it involves a lot of precise movements and character work. We also got to use hats in the dance which was a fun element to add!” 

HCCLU: Can anyone dance in the showcase? 

MK: “Last year the showcase was only for the dance team in hopes to raise money for our competition season. With the new dance minor, I think there are going to be a lot more opportunities for student dancers to be involved in a Spring showcase!” 

HCCLU: What is your favorite part about being on the dance team? 

MK: “My favorite part is going to practice. I get to hangout with 17 of my best friends for 2 hours doing what we love and having fun! I cherish every moment I get to spend working hard towards all of my dance goals! My goal by senior year is to have dance team be a sports affiliated program so that we can become full time representatives for all of Cal Lutheran’s athletics.” 

HCCLU: How can people join the dance team if they are interested?

MK: “We have auditions for the team in the Spring and have dance opportunities for anyone who wants to come on Sunday nights from 7:30-9. If you follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter you’ll be updated on when we have open practice and performance opportunities! You won’t regret it!”  

Elaine Abarta

Cal Lutheran

Elaine is a Junior at California Lutheran University majoring in Communications. She is currently Publicity Director and Features Writer for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. She loves planning events, singing, playing guitar, and spending time with her friends and family. 
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!