This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Thumbnail courtesy of PEXELS

Imagine a high school student named Molly. She’s in her freshman year, in the art club and thinking about joining the science club. The school year was more than half way done and her mom was dropping her off on a regular Wednesday in March. “Bye mom, I love you!” Molly said as she kissed her mom before getting out of the car to head into school. Her mom drove off to work as Molly headed to her locker. As she approached her locker, she saw her best friends Bailey and Derrick waiting for her. Immediately, Bailey started telling Molly about all the gossip that has been going since late last night. Molly looked at Derrick and they each rolled their eyes as the three of them walked to first period, algebra. Molly sat in the back with Bailey and Derrick, as she tried not falling asleep while Mr. Thompson blabbed away.

By the time she made it through first and second period, she was ready for nutrition. Molly had to stop in the girls restroom and while she was in the stall, she heard someone walk in and two girls who were already in there laugh. As she was washing her hands, she saw Danielle walking out. The two girls who were in there, laughed harder as Danielle walked out. Talking to Molly, they said, “I can’t believe Daniel still wants people to call him Danielle. He really needs to use the guys bathroom.” Molly put her head down, finished up and went with her friends.

It was now fifth period and Molly was in health class, the awkward class all freshmen have to take. Today, Mrs. Robertson was discussing puberty with the class. Mrs. Robertson just started covering the topic of female puberty. Julian laughs and whispers something about Kendall, yet loud enough so the whole class could hear. Mrs. Robertson rolls her eye and said as she walked by Molly, “Boys will be boys”.

Molly was excited for lunch. Again, Bailey couldn’t stop talking about the gossip going around. Derrick and Molly sat in a comfortable silence as they listened to their friend talk. The principal walked by and heard Bailey say, “Yea, so Theresa is leaving some really mean comments on Kendall’s Insta and other sh**”. Principal James stopped and looked at Bailey and said, “Young lady, we don’t use profanity in this school.” Just then the basketball team walked by and the boys were laughing and saying all sorts of bad words. Principal James stopped them and ignoring the profanity, told them, “You boys have a good game tonight! Make our school proud!”

It was sixth period and by this time, Molly was ready to go home. She had emotionally checked out for the rest of the school day and all she had to do was survive sixth and seventh period. Molly asked to go to the bathroom, but was honestly just going to take a walk around campus. She needed a breather. As she walked around the school, she heard a loud noise and it made her jump in fear. Molly turned around and saw someone is a blue jacket with a gun. Before she could hide, a stray bullet hit her in the chest. Molly dropped to the floor. She couldn’t move, all sounds were magnified and her sight was blurry. She touched her chest and noticed there was blood on her hands. She heard a couple dozen shots and then silence. Once the halls became silent, Molly laid helpless in her own blood, waiting for help.

“I found one!”

“It’s going to be okay sweetie. We are going to take care of you.”

“I need a stretcher, stat!”

They placed Molly on the stretcher and into the ambulance. As the ambulance drove away, Molly’s mom was pulling up to make sure her daughter was okay. Minutes after the ambulance drove away, Molly closed her eyes for one last time. It wasn’t until hours later until Molly’s mom was notified that her daughter didn’t make it.Photo Courtesy of PEXELS

This story that I wrote is not about one person, school or situation. It is a completely fictional story, but very relevant to current issues. It was important I told you the story of young Molly before I dove deeper. Why? Because with issues so deep and personal like these, one needs to understand the value in it all and how it affects every person. Everyone in the story had a part of the tragedy. Either nothing was said, excuses were made, some were getting by because their athletic abilities or whatever it was, but nothing was done. None of the situations should be judged differently. They all involved a victim, a bully, and someone who could have made a difference.

My major is Interdisciplinary Educational Studies and it is my dream and goal to have a classroom of my own one day. As someone who wants to be a teacher for our youth, I fear for the changes that may come after these tragic school shooting. Statistic Brain shares that from the year 2000 to today, there have been 146 school shootings. In those shootings, 158 were killed and 246 were injured from the shooting, and all lives were forever changed.Photo courtesy of Photopin  

I’ve learned from my studies, that the job of a teacher is not just to teach math, science, and literature. It’s more than that. It is the job of the teacher to be an educator, mentor, guidance counselor, nurse, cheerleader and so much more. I did not expect to go into this profession to be a cop as well. Now, I’m not going to get on the issue of gun control or the fact some think teachers should carry. Because no matter how much I can argue my opinion that I think gun control is important and teachers shouldn’t have to carry, there will always be an argument going on somewhere about one of those topics.Photo Courtesy of Photopin

Notice how I never gave you details of Molly’s shooter other than the jacket the shooter was wearing. Why? It doesn’t matter! The shooter could be anyone, no matter gender, race, academic standing, etc. Which leads me to argue that it’s not the gun that kills people, it’s the people killing people. Yes, I’m talking about the shooter who pulled the trigger, but I am also talking about the gun manufacturer to the gun shop owner, to the bully, to the silent passerby, to the adults who didn’t take it seriously. They all killed those innocent lives. It had a ripple effect, starting small and growing into a big issue. I did say I did not want to join a profession where I had to be a cop. Yet, I did enter to make a difference. I plan on doing so by touching the lives of all my students, their parents, my teacher buddies, the administration and so many more. It is my professional mission that I engage, mentor, and inspire students by creating a safe, open, inclusive, and creative active learning environment that always allows students to reach a world of infinite possibilities. I will get to know my students and not only teach them math, science and literature, but also how to be a good person. Maybe if we start loving each other more, there wouldn’t be so much hate. Growing up is already hard as it is, but having to deal with bullies makes it that much harder. I was inspired to write this article by all of those who are taking a stand on this issue. From the brave student Angelica Mansfield who stood up in front of her peers. To all of those who marched together in the school walkout and March for our Lives to show the government and our communities that change needs to happen. Whoever it may be, thank you for inspiring me to stand up and to use the outlets I have to voice my opinion. Let’s smile more at each other, make new friends regularly and just spread more love. Small changes make big impacts, just like a ripple.Photo courtesy of Photopin

Thumbnail courtesy of PEXELS

Kira Wiman

Cal Lutheran '19

Kira is Head of Sisterhood for Cal Lutheran's Her Campus Chapter and absolutely loves being a part of a sisterhood. She is majoring in Interdisciplinary Educational Studies with a Psychology minor. After graduation in May 2019, she will be working towards acheiving her multi-subject credential with a Masters in Education at UCSB. She hopes to one day be an elementary school teacher who will open the mind's of our youth and create and active learning environment in her classroom. Writing articles for Her Campus Cal Lutheran gives her an outlet to speak about personal stories, topics she is passionate about and to entertain her fellow college peers.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!