FSU Dorm
FSU Dorm
Alyce Rogers
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

My first day of school this semester is very different than all of the others that I have had. This is the first time that I won’t be catching up with friends over food or hugging and laughing with all the people I haven’t seen in months. This first day of school, I’ll be sitting in my bedroom, on my computer, looking at other students, at home, on their computers. I won’t be packing a lunch for during my break and I won’t be hanging out in the dorms between classes. I’ll be at home, fighting to keep my kitten off my keyboard and out of the video while in class.

The thing that makes me the saddest about all of this, is that I am in my senior year of college. It is quite literally my last first day of school and I won’t be on campus with all of the people that I love. It breaks my heart that this is how the world is going and that memories I hoped to make won’t happen. Not that there aren’t already so many memories from my time in college. I have so many. And I am so grateful for all that I have experienced. I can’t wait to see the things that Her Campus accomplishes this semester, while being online. I know it’ll be a difficult transition for all of us, but it’ll also be really cool and interesting at the same time. 

computer hands writing in journal on table
Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash

Something else that I’m excited about is the screenplay that I’m working on for one of my classes. Being at home has given me a lot of extra time to think and to be creative. I’ve been thinking about working on this project for a while but I wasn’t sure what kind of style I wanted to write it in. Being in a screenwriting class is now giving me the opportunity to turn my ideas into an actual piece of work. I cannot wait to see how it turns out. 

My only woe for the upcoming school year is how strange it will be to not finish my college degree actually at my college. And that is something even stranger. I am about to graduate with a degree. I’m going to be an actual adult with an education, set off into the real world. It’s scary and exciting all at the same time. And yet, I cannot wait for it. I cannot wait to start the rest of my life.

So while this may be my last first day of school, it is the first of the beginning of my life and I cannot wait for all of the other firsts I am going to encounter on my journey.

Alexia Lee

Cal Lutheran '21

Alexia Lee is the Social Media Director for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. She is a senior majoring in English with a minor in Creative Writing. She absolutely loves reading and writing, which she finds herself doing a lot in her free time. If she isn’t doing either, she can be found waltzing around Universal Studio’s Harry Potter World in her Ravenclaw robe, at the beach working on her tan, or daydreaming about where her travels will take her next.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!