Kyle Buys Tampons (and you should too!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

My grocery list this week contains some items that don’t normally accompany the regular microwave meals and “family-size” oreos tampons and pads. As a cisgender guy, I’ve only ever bought feminine hygiene products on a handful of occasions (when my sisters or friends needed me to pick them up). However, I will walk into the “feminine goods” aisle with zeal this week when I pick some up for the donation collection happening this week on our very campus.

The AKD Sociology Club and Center for Equality and Justice are staging a drive for feminine hygiene products this week on the Spine. All of the collected pads and tampons will be donated to either the Lighthouse for Women and Children center in Oxnard or The Samaritan Center in Simi Valley.

These local organizations provide essential help to our local populations of homeless women in need. Feminine hygiene products have a problem of being under-donated, and we are aiming to combat that.

Campaigns such as #theHomelessPeriod aim to bring to light exactly why donating these goods is essential. Tampons and pads not only aid in health and safety; they combat discomfort and help protect the dignity of homeless women (and others that require these goods).

So please, regardless of who you are, bring what you can to the donation spot at the Spine from November 16th – November 20th between 11am and 3pm (and if you can’t donate, please spread the word to others that may be able to).

For more questions, please feel free to email aplatis@callutheran.edu.

Kyle Mueting

Cal Lutheran

Student, activist, and cereal enthusiast. This is Kyle's first semester writing for Her Campus.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!