absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Know the Signs: NEDAwareness Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

“This NEDAwareness Week, we invite Every Body to Have a Seat at the Table.” The National Eating Disorders Association marks February 22-28 as Eating Disorder Awareness Week, and their goal is to not only spread knowledge to the public but also spread hope to those in need. I have multiple personal experiences with eating disorders, so I wanted to share some basic information on the warning signs that you should be aware of in your friends and family.

There are some behaviors that are not as problematic as many of the symptoms we are usually warned about, so often, eating disorders can be hard to recognize. Several of these signs can begin as a healthy practice, such as cutting out sugar or starting a rigid exercise routine, but it’s important to note when habits become obsessions. That is when eating disorders are formed, and those with an ED need the help of loved ones to recognize the risks and recover properly.

Some obvious physical symptoms that you can notice almost immediately are changes in complexion, such as a yellow tint to the skin, fluctuations in weight, and dry, brittle hair and nails. If someone you know starts skipping and/or avoiding meals and withdrawing from friends, it’s a good time to check up on them.

woman sitting alone looking out window
Photo by Anthony Tran from Unsplash

Another common sign of any type of eating disorder is the development of food rituals, such as rearranging food on their plate, micro-biting (nibbling at food even if it is already bite-sized), eating things in a certain order, or even hoarding food in odd locations, such as under a bed or in a dresser.

There is an extensive list of signs and symptoms for each eating disorder on nationaleatingdisorders.org that you should definitely glance over, but not all illnesses affect people the same. In women, however, bulimia and anorexia will cause amenorrhea, or the arrest of the menstrual cycle. Eating disorders cause chemical imbalances, and as soon as someone with an eating disorder misses multiple periods, it means that the brain is diverting hormones and energy to parts of the body that necessitate survival.

tampons with flowers
Photo by Polina Zimmerman from Pexels
If you notice any of these warning signs in your friends, know that the best thing you can do is be a strong support system. You won’t be able to change their habits by yourself, but if you encourage them to seek out help and recovery, there is a greater chance that they will. When someone has an eating disorder, they will often defend their actions or deny that their practices are unhealthy, so they will not pursue help without persuasion. Eating disorders are serious mental and physical illnesses that can have deadly effects. Recognizing the signs early can be critical in the recovery process, so be aware of your friends and family in order to support them throughout their rehabilitation journey.

Alea Lehr

Cal Lutheran '21

A Biology major with a love for anything and everything in the ocean! Any time away from examining coral structures, wading through streams, looking at cells, or grappling immunohistofluorescence is spent reading, writing, and baking. (She has the best banana bread recipe) Though she mostly composes scientific papers, creative writing is her true passion, and when she isn't coming up with an article, she's jotting down ideas for novels. During a bad case of writer's block, she tries to find inspiration by talking to her best friend, and dog, Bear.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!