This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: What is your major?

Kelsey Alter: Environmental Science with a minor in Communications and I’ll be graduating this December. But I’ll be part of the 4+1 Program here at Cal Lutheran and I’ll be receiving a Master of Public Policy & Administration.

HCCLU: Why are you an environmental science major? What was the inspiration behind that?

KA: I have always had a passion for science, though I love that environmental science impacts us on a daily basis regardless of where we are. Knowing vital scientific information can essentially create better conditions and improved technology in communities, which continues to drive me to utilize the scientific mindset in the workforce. Science is such an important field for any professional, because the critical thinking abilities learned in science can become so powerful and innovative in the workforce.

HCCLU: What do you want to do once you graduate?

KA: I am open to any opportunity within the field of Public Administration, though my dream is to be a project coordinator or project analyst for local or state government in a sustainability, park and recreation, open space, or public works division. I have never been one to be strict about my path, so I am eager to see where my career will take me coming graduation.

HCCLU: When did you decide you wanted to go into local government? Why did you decide to be in local government?

KA: My freshman year of college I was obsessed with The Office with Steve Carell. I literally thought it was the best show- funny, the practicality and parody of an office setting, and awesome plot twists with romance. However, my roommate at the time loved Parks & Recreation, and she urged me to watch the show and said it was much better than The Office. From then on, once I got into the second season I was inspired by fictional Leslie Knope’s lively energy and passion for her city of Pawnee. I have lived in Santa Clarita my entire life, besides these 3 and a half years at Cal Lutheran, thus I know the logistics and culture of the city extremely well. I have a passion for the City of Santa Clarita- the events, the vibe, the workforce, the parks, the city planning, everything! When I was a junior, my mom saw an opening for an intern in the Environmental Services division on Facebook and I applied. By the time it was December, I had two interviews and was offered the position! I have been there for 10 months now, and my bosses have mentored me through grant writing, auditing, and giving comments and conditions on behalf of our division for Planning. As a result of the internship, I was inspired to apply to Cal Lutheran for my Master’s in Public Policy & Administration, and I am currently starting my graduate degree while in the midst of finishing the final credits of my undergraduate degree. I cannot wait to see where my path will take me once I graduate undergrad this December, as I am not sure what is next for me. Overall, merging scientific concepts and public administration is my goal, as I aspire to make logical decisions for the government in regards to economic and environmental prosperity. Regardless of what department I end up in, I aim to serve the people for my entire career.   

Kelsey and Girl Scout volunteers mulching Bouquet Creek Restoration Site for a city project

HCCLU: Do you have any advice for underclassmen?

KA: Let passion drive your life and do not ever limit yourself. It’s okay to change your passions; I wanted to be a teacher when I started at Cal Lutheran.

HCCLU: What was one of your favorite classes here at Cal Lu?

KA: I loved Communication Theory Capstone & Nonverbal Communication.

HCCLU: What’s one of your favorite memories from being at Cal Lu?

KA: My favorite memories are consulting my clients at The Writing Center on campus. No paper is ever the same, and it is so exciting to feel like you are helping people to advance their writing skills one assignment at a time. 

Check out Kelsey’s Writing Blog!

HCCLU: What are some of the extracurricular activities you’ve done these past 4 years?

KA: I was in the Geology Club from freshman year until junior year, we went hiking a lot. I was also a Phonathon Caller for the first semester of my freshman year. I’ve been a Writing Center Consultant since my sophomore year and I attended many Zumba classes on campus.

HCCLU: How do you manage your busy schedule?

KA: I am a libra, so I’m all about balance! I try to eat healthy in order to maintain energy and drink tons of tea. I only drink a half cup of coffee in the morning so I’m not jittery. With my schedule, I try to sleep well and meal prep when I can. I manage my schedule with a ton of help; I’m in Santa Clarita half the week, so when I’m home my mom preps food for me to eat and we try to get through my laundry on Fridays. I use every last second of the day to finish my assignments, with 17 units and 2 jobs. With a busy life, it is also important to know when to stop. A couple nights a week, I try to give myself time to relax and watch my favorite shows!

HCCLU: Did you always want to go to Cal Lu?

KA: Actually, no. I wanted to go to Sonoma State of NAU for a while. But I got into Cal Lutheran and the second I stepped on campus I fell in love. I knew I would receive an exceptional education here, and I was right!

HCCLU: Do you have any regrets from these past 4 years?

KA: Sometimes I wish I would have had more fun. However, I wouldn’t be where I am today if I did that. I am happy with how these last 3 and a half years have gone (I’m not here a whole 4 years for undergrad, yay!)

HCCLU: What’s you favorite thing about Cal Lu?

KA: I know this is totally cliche, but the professors on campus are diamonds in the rough. I have not had one bad professor here in 3 and a half years. I have learned so much from all of my professors and my mentors Director/Assistant Directors at The Writing Center. These professors have all shaped me into the intellectual and professional who I have always aspired to be. It truly takes a village!

HCCLU: What are you going to miss about Cal Lu?

KA: I am going to miss being an undergraduate because of the incredible diverse liberal arts classes. When I graduate with my master’s, I will miss the lovely campus itself and all the wonderful people who encompass it- from students, to faculty, to staff. Everyone is so extremely happy at Cal Lutheran, and I love all of the emotional contagion here! I truly love this school!

Kyla Buenaventura

Cal Lutheran '19

Kyla Buenaventura was the Writing Director and Senior Editor for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran from 2017-2019. She double majored in Economics and Political Science with an emphasis in Law and Public Policy. When she was still at Cal Lutheran, she loved writing and inspiring her Writing Team to express their love and passion for topics through their own unique writing styles. 
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!