Keepin’ it Cool with Cody Jones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

He’s a Senator on the Cal Lutheran Senate, an athlete on the Kingsmen Track and Field Team, the Co-President of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes Club, a youth leader at Discovery Church, a worker in Student Affairs, and an amazing Peer Advisor. Do you know who he is? I’ll give you one more hint, his majors are Psychology and Marketing Communication and he’s in the running to participate in the U.S. Paralympics Track and Field team. That’s right, it’s Cody Jones!

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: What do you do for the Cal Lutheran Senate?

Cody Jones: I am one of the Sophomore class representatives on Senate. Just like every other Senator, I vote on club approvals and their budgets. I also have done many projects like the Student Voice Survey. I was also the Senator that brought the bills to the table that helped support the RA programs “Tunnel of Oppression” and “Run to Save Innocence”.

HC: I know you’re in the running for the U.S. Paralympics Track and Field team. How did you get to this point in your sports career and how did you feel when you found out?

CJ: I love this story. I actually never did Track and Field until college. I played baseball throughout my life. My senior year of high school my coach set up an interview with the L.A. Times high school sports reporter. I catch and throw with my right hand due to my cerebral palsy. A lot of stuff happened after that article and corresponding YouTube video, “A Baseball Player That Offers Inspiration”. Cathy Sellers, the Director of U.S. Paralympics Track and Field read the article and contacted my coach. That is how it all started. I was ecstatic, thrilled,  and left to wonder the possibilities. The possibilities seem endless. I plan to go to World Championships and the 2016 Rio Paralympics. Thanks to my coach Justin and teammates, I currently have the Americas record in my classification.

HC: What is one moment when you felt so incredibly empowered?

CJ: In all honestly, I have felt empowered my whole life. My faith buds a sense of hope. Also, so many people in my life have told me and keep telling me that I can do anything I wanted to. My wish is to share that same feeling with others.

HC: Who or what are your biggest motivators?

CJ: My roommate-my four year old little brother motivates me. I want to do my best for him.

HC: Do you have a motto, and if so, what is it?

CJ: “It’s a different ability not a disability” and “Love God Love People”.

HC: What are your short term and long term goals?

CJ: My short term goals are get good grades this semester, throw 45 meters in the javelin. My long term goals are win a Gold medal at Rio, start my own company, hopefully be lucky enough and have the privilege of finding an amazing wife, and take over the world (meaning leaving a lasting legacy). 

HC: What is one thing a lot of people don’t know about you, but you wish they did?

CJ: I am not always awkward. Well, maybe I am?

HC: If you could switch places with anyone for a day, who would it be and why?

CJ: I would switch places with Superman. Who wouldn’t want to?

HC: How are you involved in your church?

CJ: I help out with the junior high school students. I talk about Jesus, friends, family, and life with amazing students.

HC: What is your favorite food?

CJ: Any food that I am not allergic too makes my favorites list. Gluten, dairy, and egg free burritos are my friends.

HC: Anything you’d like to add?

CJ: I am definitely right handed. My nickname is Yodie Cones. I love the Dodgers. One of my life goals includes learning how to sing and play guitar and winning American Idol.

Thanks so much for taking the time to talk with us Cody, you are definitely an inspiration! Good luck at the Paralympics!

Andrea Lopez

Cal Lutheran

Andrea is a sophomore at California Lutheran University. She's currently trying out many different career paths, driven by her creative passions to help people. She's a dreamer who has the discipline to turn these dreams into her reality. The moment she starts thinking rationally is the moment she has lost all hope. Andrea believes in being irrational, and taking risks. She cares to travel the world in the hope to be exposed to as many viewpoints as possible. Andrea wants to help people live the lives they desire. She believes in the insane kind of love, the one that drives you crazy. She believes deeply in Jay Gatsby and Peter Parker. Andrea is an artist at heart and a scientist by nature. She wants it all. She wants to make an impact.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!