Anna Schultz-Cozy Girl Using Laptop
Anna Schultz-Cozy Girl Using Laptop
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Keep Your Friends Close…(Or At Least 6 Feet Apart)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

COVID-19 and social distancing regulations have certainly made it difficult for people to stay connected with each other and break the “2020 loneliness,” as I’m calling it. Although everyone wants life to return to “normal” as soon as possible, it’s important for us to remember we’re in the middle of an actual global pandemic and therefore need to do our best to stay safe, from social distancing to wearing masks to staying home altogether. Whether you’re fully on lockdown or only going out on rare occasions (such as work, hybrid classes, or a socially distant hangout/event), staying connected with our friends and loved ones is just as important as taking care of yourself and checking in on your mental health. Even I had a huge phase of “2020 loneliness” and depression–every now and then I still experience it– here are a few things I’ve done to help me get through these times of isolation. 

• Virtual Movie Nights: This was my favorite way to connect with my friends during the summer. Unfortunately, Zoom has blocked streaming platforms from the screen share function, meaning virtual movie nights are not as easy as they once were. However, there’s Netflix Party where you and your friends can watch a movie and chat in real-time as well as Metastream, though everyone joining the “party” needs their own account. There are plenty of other alternatives out there with their own rules and services, so I suggest searching according to your preference. Something I haven’t tried yet but might work is playing a movie you actually own using the DVD player on your device (some laptops/computers have it built-in, others such as Macbook Air’s require a USB external slot for DVD’s). If you have the ability to, I would suggest trying that too! 

person holding a remote control pointed at TV streaming netflix
Photo by freestocks from Unsplash

• Virtual Game Nights: I’m sure this one’s just as obvious as the first, but playing games with friends is a great way to stay connected and have some fun. One of my favorite games to play, which is really popular at the moment, is Among Us. Because everyone in my go-to Among Us squad has classes and assignments during the week, I play on the weekends and have an absolute blast. It’s a great way to enjoy yourself and de-stress from the week’s workload, especially if you’re like me and have a job on top of school. I also suggest making a Discord server so players can use the voice channel during discussions, which makes it much more fun and interactive. If Among Us is not your type of game, there are plenty more out there for you to explore!

• (Safe and Socially Distant) Outings: Trust me, I’m doing everything I can to stay safe and stay at home unless absolutely necessary, but we all feel that itching desire to go outside. What I’ve done to “satisfy the itch” is schedule a weekly outing for myself. My go-to spot is a local harbor where I can walk by the water and enjoy some Blenders if I like, though you can find a local park or somewhere that holds good memories for your own walks. I also try to walk around the neighborhood with my family especially after dinner so that we can not only “walk it off,” but get some nice fresh air. Whenever and wherever you think is a great spot for a walk, I definitely encourage you to go out a bit–and don’t forget your mask! (Pro tip: stash a few “emergency” masks in your car or bag/purse so that you’re never without one!)

Anna Schultz-Girl Walking With Backpack
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

• Checking in with Friends: This one is especially helpful and important to me and my friends. Though we don’t designate a certain day for it, we’ll check in with each other at least once a week. What I do is send everyone a reminder to hydrate, eat at least three (healthy) meals, and take breaks when needed that day. I also encourage them to sleep early or take a nap if their body needs it and ask how they’ve been feeling for the past week. Having someone check-in with me really helps me reflect on my mental state and physical capacity–if I’m drained or stressed, that usually means that I’ve been pushing myself too hard and deserve a break, but if I’m energized or happy, that usually means I’ve been doing well in taking care of myself. Just the simple act of checking in on someone else’s mental health reminds me to think about my own, and someone who’s really struggling would definitely appreciate you reaching out to them. 

•  Study Dates: This one might seem a bit obvious, especially when Facetime and phone calls are easy ways to keep in touch with friends, but this one has been really effective in my experience. I actually don’t have classes with any of my friends except two, but even then, it can be hard to communicate because we have other different classes. What we’ve done, though, is set up a night where everyone clears their schedule and logs onto Zoom or Facetime and does whatever homework they need to. Of course, it’s a great time to catch up and chat too, but just having someone (or a few people) to keep me company as I do my homework actually motivates me to get it done rather than procrastinate. Even if everyone is doing their own thing, it’s like a wave of academic focus and satisfaction is introduced. If you’ve been having a hard time concentrating alone at home, I highly suggest you try this out!

woman on a conference call with 3 others
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

Whatever you do during these times to stay connected with friends and loved ones, especially during the school semester, remember that you aren’t alone. COVID-19 may keep us apart for now, but the rainbow always comes after the storm. Plus, just imagine how amazing it will be when we get through this together!

Angelina Leanos

Cal Lutheran '23

Hi! I'm Angelina and I'm the Co-Senior Editor/Writing Director of HCCLU. I'm a Senior majoring in English and minoring in Psychology. I love traveling, cooking/baking, listening to music, and writing poetry.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!