This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

As human beings, we are wired to have self-doubt and wonder why certain events happen to us. It’s easy to blame yourself and isolate yourself in order to not push your problems onto other people. The difficult solution is looking at these problems as steps to becoming a better person. Every day, we have the choice to think positively or negatively, and these thoughts usually set the mood for the rest of the day. One way to make an improvement on your mindset is to start your day by saying three or more compliments or goals for that day to yourself; these are also be known as daily affirmations. Daily affirmations have the capability of changing your perspective on yourself, the people around you, and life as a whole. 

One affirmation to start off your day maybe something along the lines of “Today I will focus on my mental health by doing something that I enjoy.” This will help you put this statement out into the world and ultimately make you believe that you want this for yourself. Affirmations like these can change bad habits of negative thoughts about yourself and change them into empowering ones instead. Although this seems like it may not make a difference because affirmations are such a small part of your day, these words being told to yourself on repeat will change your pessimistic patterns. Once you begin working on affirmations to improve your self-image, you will notice a difference in everything around you.

grateful journal
Photo by Gabrielle Henderson from Unsplash

A noticeable change you will find is in the way you view other people around you, not only the people that are close to you but even random people you may see once in your lifetime. You will begin to understand that other people go through obstacles just as you do and have to go about their life supporting themselves. Once you gain confidence in yourself, you will also be able to help others with their lives and give advice that you can genuinely say you used yourself. Along with this, your energy towards the people you surround yourself with will be more optimistic because of the security you have within yourself, allowing you to make more time for others. 

After realizing that you’re happy with yourself and the people in your life, you will also allow yourself to appreciate what you have and find the motivation to work more. Daily affirmations will help you find peace with everything in your life and make you glad that you faced all the challenges you have. Affirmations are vital to helping you understand that every challenge is only a step closer to becoming the best version of yourself. The person you become can now view every detail of life in a positive manner and look forward to every new day to come. From the simplest things, like hearing the birds chirping outside, to something larger, like being able to have every meal of the day; these acts of life will be easier to acknowledge every day as something to be grateful for. 

Photo by Viktor Forgacs on Unsplash

Speaking the life you want to live into existence can seem almost impossible, but as soon as you have the right mindset, you will be capable of so much more than you thought was possible. Daily affirmations seem minor to improving your life and you may not see results right away, but slowly you will notice your lifestyle change over the course of months. I encourage you to say three affirmations every morning for a month and you’ll gain more love for everything around you, including yourself.   

Jaida Burgon

Cal Lutheran '24

Hi loves! I’m Jaida Burgon, born and raised on Oahu, Hawaii. Thus meaning I obviously love the beach and anything outdoors. My major is Communication, emphasis in PR and advertising with a minor in Multimedia. In my free time I love to read, write, and spend quality time with my friends and family.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!