Hunting For Answers, Not Eggs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

If you think about what Easter stands for, many people would say: bunnies, egg hunts, candy, and baby chicks. What is missing from this list? Jesus Christ. Yes, Jesus is the only reason we have Easter. Bunnies and all the rest of that nonsense are fun, but as a society we seem to forget the true purpose of Easter. Why do we get the Friday before Easter off from school? Good Friday is the day set aside to remember when Jesus Christ was crucified on the cross. As a Christian, I believe that he died on the cross to save me and other believers from sin. Easter is the celebration of when Jesus rose from the grave three days after his death. Romans 6:3-5 says, “Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection”.

(Photo by Sarina Soto)

So why do we celebrate Easter with Easter egg hunts? Eggs are a symbol for new life, and with Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross, we gain new life. Not many people link the eggs to the resurrection, but when I was younger we had special Easter eggs that showed the progession of the Easter story. They showed the cross, the rock that covered the tomb, the empty linens, and the empty egg represented the empty tomb.

(Photo by Amanda DeNichilo)

It saddens me that a lot of people do not celebrate Easter for the right reasons. When I was in elementary school, we used to have Easter Break during Easter. Now, schools are trying so hard to separate the two. So now we have “Spring” Break instead of Easter Break and it is no longer centered around Easter. Let’s remember the real reason we celebrate Easter. 

(Photo by Kaitlyn Sloniker)

Disclaimer: This article does not necessarily represent the views of Her Campus or California Lutheran University.

Elaine Abarta

Cal Lutheran

Elaine is a Junior at California Lutheran University majoring in Communications. She is currently Publicity Director and Features Writer for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. She loves planning events, singing, playing guitar, and spending time with her friends and family. 
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!