This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

We all know that holidays can be one of the best, yet one of the worst times of the year. The holidays, also known as “cuffing season,” revolve around having a special someone to spend these exciting months with. Whether this means drinking hot chocolate, going ice skating, making gingerbread houses, or even just watching Christmas movies, it somehow all seems better if you have someone to do it with. While this can be true, I believe the holidays can be fun no matter who you are with, even if that’s yourself. Here are a few ways to enjoy the holidays without being cuffed.

1. Go to Trader Joe’s and get the Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate and some whipped cream to enjoy with some friends or roommates.
  1. Go to a thrift store like Goodwill and check out the Christmas decorations they have for college students on a budget (I personally love decorating for Christmas on my own).
  1. Buy some gingerbread houses from a local grocery store and have a gingerbread house contest with some friends.
  1. Dedicate a night to bake some cookies while listening to Christmas music, then enjoy them as you watch some holiday movies.
  1. Go to five below and purchase a $5.00 4ft. Christmas tree and DIY paint some clear ornaments with a few friends or roommates. 

Truly, I believe the holidays are about enjoying what only comes around once a year and taking that opportunity to wear your Christmas pants as much as possible. While it may be nice to have a significant other, I believe that everything is what you make of it and the holidays can be just as good with some friends or even on your own. With that being said, I hope everyone enjoys the fresh smell of pine and some warm hot chocolate during this holiday season. 

Jaida Burgon

Cal Lutheran '24

Hi loves! I’m Jaida Burgon, born and raised on Oahu, Hawaii. Thus meaning I obviously love the beach and anything outdoors. My major is Communication, emphasis in PR and advertising with a minor in Multimedia. In my free time I love to read, write, and spend quality time with my friends and family.