This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

After a long summer we all feel so overwhelmed with coming back to school and always keeping track of what’s due and when exams are. If you’re a college student like myself, you don’t need me to tell you that things can get messy very quickly if you don’t stay organized. Managing a full course load, working part-time, and trying to fit in social activities or extracurriculars is hard. Here are five ways to have an organized and fun semester, because simply stressing about it won’t get you anywhere. You’ve got this !

1.)  Invest in a planner 

Honestly I don’t know how I would have made it through college without using a planner. They are such a lifesaver and can help prevent so many potential disasters and mishaps throughout the semester. My top tip for using planners is to immediately sit down with your syllabus from each class at the very beginning of the semester and write down when every single assignment, exam, project, etc. is due. This way, you can see which weeks will be stress-free and easy, and which ones have tons of assignments and exams so you can plan accordingly and make sure everything gets done in time.

2.) Color Code and Label:

Optional, but helpful. Coordinate the colors of notebooks and folders, designate different class papers with different colored dividers, write vocab words for each unit in different colored pens and label your coursework and due dates on papers. It will help you visualize everything much better.

3.) Keep your workspace clean:

Try to keep your desk looking organized and inviting. If it’s a mess, you’re going to be less likely to complete your work. Try to remove any extra clutter that will distract you as you’re trying to work or designate a specific area of your apartment or room to school work and be sure to only use that space for work!

4.) Self-care: 

Treat your self, don’t forget to take some time for you! This will keep you motivated in school work as it will help you keep a healthy balance. Even if it’s something small like buying yourself a coffee or a new nail polish. You can’t do your best in classes and be a good friend if you’re not taking care of yourself. Be good to you so you can be good to others!

5.) Stay Organized:

Google Calendar and iPhone reminders will only help you in the end. Worried about losing your planner or forgetting to write down a meeting? Mark it in your calendar and set a reminder.

There you have it, I hope these tips help you have a great start to your semester!

All Images courtesy of unsplash.com

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!