Wellness > Mental Health

How I Changed My Perspective on the “Pandemic Lifestyle”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Prior to the pandemic, I was a full-time high school student and track and field athlete, with no care in the world! The only thing I was stressed about was where my friends and I were going to go for lunch that day. Little did I know that this stress would turn into not seeing them for months.

About three months into 2020, I got the dreaded call that school and future events would be canceled. What was I going to do without daily track practices, seeing my friends, and going to any social outings? Though the shift from freedom to regulation was very difficult at first, I learned to find comfort in the little things…

1. I started devoting more time to my faith

Before the pandemic shutdown, I became very relaxed in my faith. My excuse was that I was too busy and would ultimately forget to pray. Once my hectic schedule took a pause, I realized that I was missing a key element in my happiness. I was in need of the Lord and His comfort and guidance. I started journaling and praying daily, thanking Him for everything He has provided for me. This not only helped my spiritual health, but also my mental health. As we start transitioning back to reality, I will continue to stay consistent in my faith.

2. I established healthy habits!

I have always been active and cautious of what I eat. But I never thoroughly looked into the products I was consuming or using. After heavy research and an understanding of what healthy living meant, I started consuming products that were benefitting not only my body but my planet too! To fix my G.I. issues, I became dairy and (mostly) gluten-free! This dramatically changed my gut health for the better! I also took on a new hobby: weightlifting. I had weightlifted every once and a while for strength and conditioning but never truly got into it as a sport until the shutdown. I had an idea to build a home gym to keep my body in shape, but had no idea that it would lead me to my passion for weightlifting! I am proud of my perseverance and devotion to healthy living throughout one of the most challenging times of my life and will continue to maintain these habits!

3. I fell in love with the outdoors

After being isolated from society for so long, I found peace within nature. I went on hikes with my family on a regular basis. I went on late night drives with my boyfriend. I even was content with walking from my house down the street to Target, just to get some fresh air. This also took time away from my social media and t.v. usage. It’s important for our mental and physical well-being to get out and explore! So come join me to get some natural Vitamin D!

4. I spent more time with my family

The pandemic forced a pause on many of our lives. In some ways, this took away from all the stressors in life and created more time to engage with family and friends. I realized that I was so consumed in school, work, and sports that I didn’t make the time to go out with my family. When the pandemic hit, we made the most of our time together by going on little road trips, having family movie nights, and even getting a new family pet! That doesn’t mean that when the world moves back towards normalcy, we won’t be planning the next fun activity!

If you are struggling with a negative perspective on the pandemic, I recommend incorporating this list into your life. Let’s grow happier, healthier, and more united as we enter the post pandemic world.

Hannah Sewall

Cal Lutheran '25

Hi! I'm Hannah Sewall and I am the President of Her Campus CLU. I'm currently a sophomore, majoring in Marketing Communications.