How to Christmas Shop for the Men in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

As women, we have all experienced trying to shop for our dads, brothers, and boyfriends. I personally have always had trouble buying things for my brothers and definitely my boyfriend. Let’s be honest, girls are easy, jewelry, clothes, makeup, shoes, BOOM you’re done. Men are always hard because let’s face it, you aren’t going to buy them cologne every year. Here are some great gift ideas for all the men in your life. Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.com

If you’re having problems thinking of what to get for your brothers, first things first, make your life easier and ask them for a list.  Secondly, pay attention to the things they do all the time. If you notice that they like to listen to music a lot, ask them if there are any particular bands that they like to listen to. Go out and buy the newest album made by that band (assuming they don’t already have it) and you’re all set. Now they have a CD that they can listen to in their car on road trips. Or to make this more modern day, see if the band is having any upcoming concerts and buy tickets for him and a friend that he can take. This way you only have to get him one thing since it will probably be a bit more expensive, and it’ll create memories that will last him a lifetime. 

Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.com

For the football dad of every family, get him a jersey from his favorite team. There are so many stores in every mall that carry sports apparel that you’re bound to find something. He will love it so much, it’ll become the iconic lucky jersey that can never be washed because his team always wins when he wears it. You will be legen…wait for it…dary! Plus, it will make him start wanting more sports themed gifts, so you have more options for Fathers Day and his birthday. It started out with a jersey, but now he’ll want a hat, a jacket, and maybe even some sandals he can wear while he barbecues steaks on the new sports themed barbecue that “Santa” got him. If you weren’t the favorite child before, you will be now.Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.com

And now for the boyfriend. I personally have had trouble in the past with this one because usually they all want some type of car part that would cost a nice chunk of your tuition, but you can still do something really nice for them that they will love, without having to take out a loan. Personalized gifts are always a hit. You can take a really cute picture of both of you and then find a frame and engrave it with a cute holiday quote, or maybe an inside joke that you two share. Or you can go simple and just do both of your initials and a basic but cute design. You can make it even more personalized to him if he is following a certain career path. If he is in the military you can engrave a dogtag. If he is a fireman you can get him a lighter, or in general you could get him a personalized money clip, or a pocket knife (for opening packages that you send him). A great place to go for this either in store or online is Things Remembered. Something that I have always found to be a cute option is to go to a pottery painting place and paint him a mug or his favorite animal, anything that describes him or things that he likes. Personalized gifts are from the heart so he will automatically love it and he’ll love you for paying attention to the little things.

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!