How To Celebrate a Summer Birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

My roommates and I LOVE celebrating each others birthdays. We made sure to know everyone’s birthdays as soon as we all moved in together! Instantly we realized: all but one of us had a birthday during the school year. Does this mean that we only celebrate three birthdays instead of four? That certainly would not be fair for the summer baby. Of course, we had a few tricks up our sleeves to make sure that our summer baby roommate also had a chance to feel special, especially because it would be a huge surprise. With that being said, this is what we chose to do to celebrate her birthday. 

The name of this celebration is called a Reversed Birthday. Now this will only be able to work for a few birthdays but it gives a general idea of what you could do. A reverse birthday is an alternative way to celebrate a Half Birthday but this one is a huge surprise because they would not expect it at all. It is called Reversed Birthday because you take the month and date they were born and you switch it. For example, our roommates birthday is on July 4, 7/4, so when you switch it around, it turns into 4/7. You are now able to celebrate the Reversed Birthday on April 7. This is how our final decorations turned out:

Now we usually celebrate birthdays in the living room but we choose the bedroom because this would catch her especially off guard.

By showing the ‘reversing’ of the dates, it makes it clear what the reason for celebrating is.

You can use pre-existing Happy Birthday banners and put the word “reversed” in the middle of it.

Disclaimer: When I first bought the banner, the D was left out, so we had to improvise and put our own letter in to make sure it was spelled correctly.

No birthday celebration is complete with out balloons and streamers. This is where Dollar Tree comes in handy. 

As I said earlier, not every summer birthday can be celebrated with a Reversed birthday. For instance if someone was born 8/25, we don’t have 25 months so we would not be able to reverse it. If this is the case then you can celebrate A Very Merry Unbirthday. Alright, you caught me, yes this is from Alice in Wonderland. BUT, it is a great idea so why not use it. This can happen on any day that is picked because everyday that is not the day you were born is your unbirthday. Technially this means that when you celebrate it will be everyone’s unbirthday BUT you can choose to focus on the summer baby.

Hopefully you can use these few tips and examples to make the summer birthday roommate feel extra special on a random day, and maybe you might just make them very surprised and happy like our roommate was.

Victoria Lahney

Cal Lutheran

Victoria is a sophomore at California Lutheran University, studying Interdisciplinary Educational Studies to become a teacher. You can catch her around campus hanging out with her Peer Students, dancing at Zumba, volunteering at a local elementary school, or writing for her personal blog "Tori in Thousand Oaks." She is a part of the writing team, event planning team and Ask Gumby.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!