This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Sophomore year was definitely one for the books. It was a full school year on Zoom. It was busy and chaotic. I made so many new friends and put myself out there more. But despite everything, my second year of college taught me so much.

eyeglasses with gray frames on the top of notebook
Photo by Dan Dimmock from Unsplash

1. IT IS OKAY TO FAIL. 
  • I was always so hard on myself for a bad grade on an exam or quiz. I used to push myself too much and it would tire me out. I would make a schedule to follow and if I did not follow it, I would put myself down for it. As time went on, I learned that as long as I gave it my all, there will be a good outcome, and if the outcome I wanted didn’t become reality, then it was not meant to be. 

2. DON’T BE SO SHY. 
  • I am awful at socializing with new people. I have never liked it, but this year my confidence grew and I became more of a social person. I made amazing new friends that I feel comfortable with at all times. I love talking to them for hours and hours, even if it is through FaceTime.
3. ENJOY EVERY SINGLE DAY. 
  • In the midst of an awful pandemic, my sophomore year of college taught me to take in everything: All the good and the bad. Waking up with a positive outlook on the day has been a game-changer. I enjoy every single day doing what makes me happy and with people that make me happy.

Woman at the beach at sunset
Photo by Jill Wellington from Pixabay

4. IT IS OKAY TO CHANGE YOUR MIND. 
  • Sophomore year threw me some insane curveballs. I thought I had my mind made up on what I wanted my future to look like and what it would include. That all has changed, and I was pretty upset about it at first. However, as time went on, I learned to be okay with me outgrowing certain aspects of myself that led me to change my mind on what I wanted my future to be like. I am confident that it will work out in the end.

These have to be the four lessons on life that sophomore year at Cal Lu taught me. 

I had so much fun. 

I will forever love this academic year because I grew so much as an individual, but all good things eventually come to an end so…

Goodbye Sophomore Year. 

My name is Wendy and I am a Sociology and Spanish major at California Lutheran University. I have lived in Ventura County all my life, making me a huge fan of the beach. I love to read on my down time, spend time with friends and workout. My love for writing began during quarantine where I found it to be a great way to express myself! I hope you enjoy my articles!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!