Gold Star For Rebecca Gold!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Name: Rebecca Gold

Major: Marketing Communications

Hometown: San Clemente, CA

Year: Junior

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: Why did you choose Cal Lutheran?

Rebecca Gold: “I was recruited for the tennis team, the campus is gorgeous, and I wanted a smaller school with average class sizes where the teachers were able to know the students on a closer level. It also is close enough to home where I can visit my family, but far enough so I can be an independent person.”

HCCLU: What is your family like?

RG: “I am very close with my family. I have an older sister, Sara, who is currently in law school. She has always been a great role model growing up, and always has a smile on her face. She is the sweetest person I know, she never gives up on her dreams and is basically a walking dictionary. My mom is a wonderful supporter, always pumping me up and there for me whenever I need her. She has countlessly gone out of her way to make my life a good one, and I am forever grateful for her. My dad is in business and is my #1 fan. He has been to every tennis tournament cheering for me no matter what. He has sacrificed so much in order to give me opportunities to grow as a person. He is an inspiration and I always love being able to play tennis with him when I visit home. My family is truly a blessing, and each member inspires me to push myself to become the best version of myself I can be.”

HCCLU: Are you involved in any clubs on campus?

RG: “I am President of the Hillel on campus and am an Interfaith Intern.”

HCCLU: What do you like to do in your free time?

RG: “When I am not busy with classes or my leadership roles on campus, I am on the tennis courts representing the women’s tennis team. From early morning practices to late night matches, the day is never done.”

HCCLU: What has been your best memory at Cal Lutheran so far?

RG: “My best memory has been traveling on Spring Break with the tennis team. Being able to go out of state to Florida and Arizona with my team has been so much fun, and I have many memories that I will cherish forever. The team is a second family to me, and the time we share on those spring break trips is very precious to me.”

HCCLU: Do you have anything you wish you could tell your freshman year self?

RG: “Don’t be afraid to ask others for help. Other students, DAs, teachers, and staff are all here and are wonderful resources. They want to see you succeed, so if you have any questions or need help in any outlet of college life, they are going to help you get where you want to go.”

HCCLU: What are your goals in life?

RG: “I want to make others happy and make a difference in the way I live my life. No matter what my profession may be (at the moment I want to be a lawyer), I want to fill my life with laughter and good people, and give my services to those who need them.”

HCCLU: If you were able to travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

RG: “If I could travel anywhere my heart desires, I would go to Israel. Being Jewish, I cannot wait to partake on my birthright to visit my homeland. To immerse myself in the land that my ancestors inhabited and to learn more about my culture would be a great way to appreciate my history.”

HCCLU: Have you already traveled to any interesting places? If so, where and why? 

RG: “Thanks to the school, I have been blessed to have gone on a few travel adventures. I have been to Washington D.C., St. Louis, and Chicago. My favorite trip was to D.C. because I had the unique opportunity to see the heart of the nation. To travel and explore the place from which most of the nation is based upon and to meet new people was amazing and I hope to be able to go back and explore some more!”

HCCLU: Where do you like to eat?

RG: “I am a very easy going person when it comes to food. As long as it is not too spicy or not too freaky, I will gladly dig in! I do love Mexican food and Italian cuisine.”

HCCLU: What are your plans after college?

RG: “I plan on furthering my education by attending law school.”

HCCLU: Who is the most inspirational person in your life?

RG: “My dad inspires me to give my all in whatever I am doing, and at the end of the day to appreciate that I have done my best. He encourages me to expand my knowledge and my leadership, and I am so grateful for all of the life lessons I have learned from him. I remember learning so much, usually in a car ride to some random tennis tournament, about how sports are a metaphor for life. No matter what I do, as long as I put effort into it, he is proud. I am eternally grateful to be able to learn from his example.”

Elaine Abarta

Cal Lutheran

Elaine is a Junior at California Lutheran University majoring in Communications. She is currently Publicity Director and Features Writer for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. She loves planning events, singing, playing guitar, and spending time with her friends and family. 
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!