stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Veganism is slowly trending. Many people do not understand the powerful impact being vegan has on this world. Most humans have been raised to consume meat and other animal products but when we come to realize what the meat industry is truly comprised of regarding our health, animals, and the environment, it will make us reflect on the question “Why wouldn’t I go vegan?”

Defined by Vegankit, they state that “Veganism is a way of living that seeks to exclude, as far as possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing and any other purpose.” More than simply a diet or fad, veganism is a new way of living. We exist in a world with a population that is constantly growing and developing and the amount of food produced needs to keep up with that high number. If it doesn’t, there will be consequences to face. So, why go vegan?

For the animals:

We interact with animals every day. They play an important role in our lives. There are dogs, cats, rabbits, cows, and chickens…what is the difference among them? The difference is that society has shaped us to believe that it is okay to eat one animal and not the other. One is given a home with love and care while the other experiences a cruel way of living.

• “Over 68 billion farmed animals worldwide are slaughtered every year; that’s more than 2,000 per second!” (Vegan Outreach)

• “In U.S. slaughterhouses, approximately 614,000 chickens and 17,000 turkeys enter the scalding tanks alive.” (Vegan Outreach)

For your health:

The health benefits that come with veganism are very positive. Aside from increased energy, a better digestive system, and healthier skin and hair, you are doing yourself a favor by lowering your chances of getting heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and more.

• “Vegans have a 62% lower risk of developing type two diabetes than meat-eaters.” (Vegan Outreach)

• “People who follow a plant-based diet have 2.5 times fewer cardiac events, including heart attacks, strokes, and bypass surgery.” (Peta)

• “Vegans/vegetarians are about 40% less likely to get cancer than non-vegans/vegetarians, regardless of other risks such as smoking, body size, and socioeconomic status.” (Peta)

For the environment:

Veganism and the environment is probably one of the most important topics to be covered. Raising animals for food requires vast amounts of water, energy, crops, and land that attributes to animal cruelty. By going vegan, climate change can be combatted, water conservation can be more efficient, pollution will be lessened, and land can be used for better purposes other than growing crops for animals. Marine life can be prevented from going extinct as well.

• “Particularly meat and dairy products, accounts for 70% of global freshwater consumption.” (Vegan Outreach)

• “If every American dropped one serving of chicken per week from their diet, it would save the same amount of CO2 emissions as taking 500,000 cars off the road.” (One Green Planet)

• “From one acre of land, we can produce 40,000 pounds of potatoes compared to only 250 pounds of cow meat.” (Vegankit)

• “Livestock must consume around 2,000 pounds of grains in order to produce enough meat whereas 400 pounds of grain can support a person for a year.” (Vegankit)

• “It takes more than 2,400 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of meat whereas it takes 25 gallons to produce 1 pound of wheat.” (One Green Planet)

• “Animals raised for food create 89,000 pounds of excrement per second, none of which benefits from the waste-treatment facilities human excrement does.” (One Green Planet)

• “More than 260 million acres of U.S. forest have been cleared to create cropland to grow grain to feed farmed animals.” (One Green Planet)

These are just a few reasons why one should go vegan. However, there is much more to it. Below, vegans have expressed what veganism means to them:

“Being vegan means respecting and caring for the environment. I chose this lifestyle because I felt bad for the animals that were going through torturous situations such as slaughter and forced milking. By becoming vegan I hope to spread awareness and inspire others to be more respectful to our ecosystem.” –Julie

“Veganism to me means to live in a way that doesn’t support the use, abuse, and exploitation of animals. I am against oppression and cruelty so being vegan is simply an extension of that. It allows me to align my lifestyle with my existing morals.” –Emily

“Veganism is a lifestyle. It allows me to feel a connection with the planet and makes me a more compassionate person. It also means I can do my part in helping to sustain the planet and save the animals.” –Jasmine

“Being vegan is one of the most important things I can be. Not only does it teach respect, decency, and compassion for other species, it also teaches us to respect those of our own. Veganism is a baseline to what makes us a good human being, one who is conscious of their effect on others around them and in the environment.” –Alinta

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!