This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Let’s face it: it’s hard to shop for Christmas gifts. Whether it’s for friends, family, or a significant other, there are so many options to choose from. One of the biggest problems that I face each year is getting a gift that is practical, but also affordable. Here are 10 items that are practical and won’t break your bank for this gift-giving season.

Image courtesy of Unsplash.com

1. Portable Charger

If you’re like me, portable chargers are that one thing you always need, but never really go out of your way to buy. So giving this as a gift seems very practical. This is a good gift to give to anyone who uses their phone a lot.

2. Gift Cards!

You can never go wrong with gift cards. You can get a gift card to the person’s favorite cafe or restaurant and treat them to a little drink/meal. Bonus idea: get a gift card to a place you and that person have never been before, but always wanted to go to. Now both of you have an excuse to go.

3. Wallet

Wallets are essential to everyday life. It’s one of those objects that we have for many years and we forget to replace. So, if you’re looking to gift something new for this Christmas, try gifting a wallet to someone.

Image courtesy of Unsplash.com

4. Blanket/Throw

You can never have too many blankets. It’s a perfect way to give warmth this season. Give this to someone who always wants to stay warm. 

5. Travel Pouches

Another practical item to give is pouches. These pouches just store a bunch of things lying around. For frequent travelers, they are the holy grail in keeping organized.

6. Customized Gift Baskets

These are one of my personal favorite things to give during the holiday. It’s basically for when you can’t settle on one gift to give to a person, so you just give them a collection of things. It can be the person’s favorite candies, little accessories, stationery, anything. And you can put everything in a cute box or basket.

Image courtesy of Unsplash.com

7. DIY Kits

Another easy thing to make. One of the more common ones are DIY hot cocoa kits. You start off with a mason jar and put in hot cocoa mix, marshmallows, and other toppings you find appropriate. You can do this with other recipes too: chocolate chip cookies, brownies, cake mix. If you have a friend that likes to bake, this gift is for them.

8. Streaming Subscriptions

A very modern gift. You can gift someone Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, or whatever streaming platform they use for as many months as you want.

9. Calendar

A calendar is one of those things where you don’t need it, but it’s nice to have it around. Give it as a gift to someone who loves decor.

Image courtesy of Unsplash.com

10. Pictures

A very sentimental gift for a very affordable price. This gift was meant for people who mean a lot to you. Give them the gift of memories by printing out pictures and putting them in an album. In the digital age, it means a lot to have a physical copy of something, especially photographs.

These are just some ideas on what to give this season. Just remember the most important aspect when giving gifts is that they have a meaning behind it. So whatever you give, make sure it’s from the heart. 

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!