This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Talk of making higher education free in the US, as it is in nations such as Germany, has been a looming idea from Obama’s free community college proposal to Bernie Sanders’s highly progressive “College for All Act.” However, as we have all heard, nothing is ever truly free.

We at CalLutheran are blessed with the opportunity of a quality private education at a reasonable cost. Even so, what is considered “reasonable” in higher education is still a monstrous burden, with many students trying to tackle enormous debt while building a career. College is undoubtedly one of the riskiest businesses out there. Many opinions exist on how to save higher education, but I think we can all agree it needs to be more affordable, especially for hardworking, deserving students who have finances standing in the way of a dream. The US Department of Education in Fact Sheet: Focusing Higher Education on Student Success, posted July 27, 2015, hammers out some basic information. Some basic realities in favor of free higher education include:

1. College graduates with a bachelor’s degree typically earn 66 percent more than those with only a high school diploma; and are also far less likely to face unemployment.
  2. Over the course of a lifetime, the average worker with a bachelor’s degree will earn approximately $1 million more than a worker without a postsecondary education.
  3. By 2020, an estimated two-thirds of job openings will require postsecondary education or training.
  4. Over the past three decades, tuition at four-year colleges has more than doubled, even after adjusting for inflation.

When one looks at these facts, free tuition seems like a great option. Higher education is more critical than ever, and more costly; students need assistance. However, so does the system. Telling public universities like big UCs “Hey, you need to adjust to your services being free” (this inevitably means a smaller budget and more students) while forcing privates to try and compete won’t be easy. Plus, states will be required to cover a large portion of the costs, not to mention higher taxes. So what does this mean for you?

1. Diversify. In today’s competitive job market, one that becomes even more competitive as more students attend college and get the same degrees, make sure you have a few more skills than the next guy or gal. Join clubs. Learn a new software. And overall, better yourself in the process of trying new things and acquiring knowledge. Also, if you ever find a new interest, remember CLU is very open to adjusting majors or minors to help meet your goals. 
  2. Invest in your education, and yourself. Even though public universities may have reduced costs, small private schools like CLU give you opportunities you won’t get anywhere else. Difference #1: People actually care to know your name! Utilize things like Career Services, on-campus organizations relating to your job interests, study abroad, and the basic art of getting to know faculty experienced in their fields. 
  3. Branding. We college students love our social media – now use it to be who you want to be! Creating a presence on media that sends a clear, professional message is critical in the modern age. LinkedIn, WordPress, About.Me and even typical sights such as Instagram are great places to build an online resume and portfolio. Just think – what impression do I want to make on an employer? Then, put that version of you across media platforms!

The college arena is rough and changing rapidly. Work hard and hold on tight. Right here at CalLu, you’ve got all the support you need. 

I am a Freshman at CLU studying Communications with an emphasis in Journalism. I write, edit, and work on the publicity team for Her Campus.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!