This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Campus Tampon Drive Supports Local Women’s Shelter; Draws Attention to Tampon Tax

This week the California Lutheran AKD Sociology Club hosted an on campus event to collect feminine hygiene products to be donated to the Lighthouse for Women and Children center in Oxnard and The Samaritan Center in Simi Valley. The event occured after international debate over the tax on feminine hygiene products.

The event was cohosted with the California Lutheran Center of Equality and Justice. The event was located at “the spine” which began Monday, Novevember 16 and ended Friday, November 20.

This is the first tampon drive on the California Lutheran University (CLU) campus and it is an event that club supervisor Dr. Molly George says will raise awareness on a greater social issue. George said, “the goal of the drive is to raise money, supplies and awareness about the importance of feminine hygiene products for those who may not have the resources to easily acquire them. Access to such items should not be seen as luxuries or just a woman’s issue, but rather necessities and a social justice issue that affects families”.

Besides helping the local community, this CLU event also intended to spread awareness on this social justice issue. Athanasia Platis, a student member of the AKD Sociology Club said, “they are heavily under-donated and heavily taxed. Women need the items but cannot afford them. Shelters need to provide them for women. Diva cups may be more environmentally friendly, but not practical for people who do not have access to clean water.”  

Platis also addressed the concerns that this event would solely be aimed at female students and faculty donors. “This issue affects everyone directly and indirectly and should be taken care of…everyone should buy tampons and pads” said Dr. George, “I’m very proud of our students for initiating such an important endeavor on our campus and for helping our local community.”

Hi, I'm a Communications major and sophomore at California Lutheran University. I consider myself five feet of sarcastic pep. I'm very excited about Her Campus and having the ability to write about my passions!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!