Meredith Kress-Converse And Fallen Leaves
Meredith Kress / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Everyone has their own traditions for welcoming the autumn season. For some, going to get their first pumpkin spice latte (PSL) in a year is an anticipated delight, while others love to warm up with a soft blanket and watch their favorite Halloween movies. For me, I always love Fall for its treats (not tricks), and so today I figured I would share some of my favorite goodies that I can’t wait to make while being at home.

Pumpkin Bread

I know this one is fairly obvious, given that Halloween is right around the corner, but seriously, one of my favorite treats to bake is some pumpkin bread with walnuts on top. There are some good recipes out there for how to make it, but adding some nuts on top is my own personal flare. Check out this recipe to make your own sunset-colored pumpkin bread loaf!

Banana Bread
Helena Lin / Spoon

Apple Cider

Nothing welcomes in the fall season more than the smell of apple cider. On a rainy day, this is my go-to beverage as I curl up with a good book (any fellow bookworms out there?), and adding a little bit of cinnamon adds a little spice of magic to it. If you want to make some of your own, here’s a recipe similar to the one I grew up with in my childhood.

Caramel Corn

Now with being stuck at home, I’ve been saving this recipe to try as an afterschool snack, as I love the sweetness of caramel, and miss going to the movies to get some popcorn. This is also a great snack if you have a sweet tooth, so be sure to check it out if you’re in the mood for something sweet and savory!

popcorn in a bowl
Georgia Vagim via Unsplash

Baking Cookies

This has been another holiday tradition of mine; I like to bake different kinds of cookies such as Russian tea cakes, or thumbprint cookies, but my all-time favorite are my mom’s chocolate chip cookies. Unfortunately, I can’t share the recipe for those ones, but warm cookies and milk are the perfect embodiment of the holiday season.

Salted Caramel Iced Coffee

I love drinking coffee throughout the year, but during the different seasons, I like to try different variations of lattes to fit each part of the year. So, my favorite flavor for fall is a salted caramel latte, and since we’ve been in quarantine, I’ve been having some of these as my favorite comfort drink. You can find my favorite recipe for it here; I like to a salted caramel mocha, but if chocolate isn’t for you, you can also leave it out.

Coldbrew Milk
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

While these are just a handful of treats to enjoy during Autumn, you can also create your own traditions to look forward to each year. Hopefully, you can indulge in one of these while we are quarantined at home, and who knows- it may just become one of your holiday favorites!

Alex Warrender

Cal Lutheran '23

Hello, my name is Alex, and I'm the Senior Writing and Editing Director for the Cal Lutheran University chapter. I’m a senior Psychology Major who loves to devour books and write poetry in my spare time. I also love to play D&D and go thrifting when I can.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!