Examine the Dead With Alicia Light

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

A lover of education and the study of dead bodies, Alicia Light does it all. Growing up in the suburbs of Stevenson Ranch, California, Light discovered her fascination of the human body, leading her to creating her own Interdisciplinary Major of Biomedical Forensics here at CLU. From being a Senior Resident Assistant to even interning for a Medical Examiner, this CLU Junior works hard to achieve her goals.

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: What made you decide to come to CLU?

Alicia Light: When I was applying to schools I knew I wanted to go to a small, religious, private school so I could have more of the professor interaction I knew I needed. When it came down to choosing, my parents had actually made the decision for me to come here based off money, which was rough at first but now that I’m here I love it. But honestly, if I had to do it all over again I would never go anywhere else. I’ve realized how perfect Cal Lutheran is for me and how many opportunities I have gotten here that I would’ve never had elsewhere.

HCCLU: What are you involved with on campus? Off campus? Of these, which one do you enjoy the most or why do you enjoy each of them?

AL: Well, I am the Senior Resident Assistant of Pederson Hall, which truly is the best job in the world. Being a part of Residence Life itself has provided me with 40 new friends, an office of professionals, and an entire hall of residents I can learn from. Not many college students get the opportunity to be a student leader and a role model among peers. It’s a lot of responsibility but I like the challenge. I am also a Senator on ASCLUG Senate which has been really fun to see all of the things student government does on campus and I get to be a part of the behind the scenes decision making. I never realized how much ASCLUG does until I got involved. And I am also an intern for a Medical Examiner in San Francisco, Dr. Judy Melinek, who I work with over breaks and summer. This past summer I got the opportunity to work with her for a couple weeks, doing autopsies and meeting with attorneys on cases. Most people think it’s gross but autopsies are the coolest things I’ve ever seen.

HCCLU: You’re an SRA! What do you enjoy most about being an RA?

AL: When I was first an RA last year in Pederson Hall I probably would have said that my favorite thing about being an RA was the day to day life of the job, getting to be that go to person and resource for students on campus. While I love putting together bulletin boards and leading programs, now my favorite thing about being an RA is getting to know my residents. We have so much fun, especially being in a freshman hall, and I love getting to be that support system for them.

HCCLU: What advice would you give to an incoming freshman?

AL: I feel like most people tell freshman and college students that these 4 years are the time to party and that they are only young once, and while that is partly true, my advice to most freshman would be a little different. I try to encourage freshmen to take advantage of the opportunities Cal Lutheran provides and take their education seriously. I think incoming freshmen are doing a disservice to themselves when they aren’t prepared for the work college requires in order to reach success and really that’s all I would want for my residents and peers. My advice: work hard.

HCCLU: I know you’ve volunteered at the hospital for awhile. What has been your most memorable experience from that?

AL: I was a Health Scholar at St.John’s Regional Medical Center for a year and a half. Oh man I have so many stories from that experience. I definitely had the best time in the emergency room. I got to do a lot of fun things like assist doctors with stitches and staples, inserting catheters, etc. But the shift I will never forget was when I watched an elderly woman say goodbye to her husband at his bedside. It was such a difficult moment to endure but it also made me realize how important the people in my life were to me and also solidified my desire to work with the topic of death because I know I’m strong enough to support people who need it.

HCCLU: What is something you are deeply passionate about? 

AL: That’s a tough question. My first thought was to say dead bodies, but that’s a little creepy and I would say autopsies and forensics are more of a fascination than a passion. Thinking about it more, I am deeply passionate about school and learning. I have always been academically driven and I put my all into my school work. Which I think is funny because I’m not a genius or anything but I’ve always felt as though education is so important and such a privilege that why wouldn’t I want to get the most out of it and be successful with it? Wanting to be a Medical Examiner is all I could ever dream of, but that alone is 4 years of medical school, 3-4 years of residency, and 1-2 years of fellowship, so clearly I love school. I would also love to go to law school, and maybe get a Masters in Anatomy or Forensics.

HCCLU: What has made you choose to be pre-med? Have you had any struggles with this path?

AL: Beginning in junior high I kind of had this idea that if you got straight A’s and like school then you should be a doctor when you grow up. So that has been my plan for a while but in high school I took Honors Human Anatomy and Physiology and I fell in love with the human body and the way it works. So that’s when I actually knew that I wanted to have a career in medicine. But oh boy, if you haven’t struggled while being a pre-med then you must not be human. I think where I struggle the most is refraining from comparing myself to other pre-meds. The field is so ridiculously hard and competitive and seemingly impossible that I have to remind myself that there are things that make me a unique candidate and whether it takes me 1 try or 10 tries, I will make it happen.

HCCLU: Is there anyone who strongly influences your life?

AL: I’m very self-motivated and self-confident so I’ve never had a problem beating to my own drum. This may sound super cheesy, but my boyfriend Addison who I have been with since high school is the smartest, most driven and dedicated person I know and he challenges me every single day to work harder and harder for what I want. He definitely has a strong influence on me.HCCLU: Do you have a certain quote that you live by?

AL: Yes, whenever I get stressed or worried I think about a specific Bible verse, Jeremiah 29:11. It says: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” It just kind of eases me and reminds me that I can’t control everything and I should just put all my trust and faith in Him.

Andrea Lopez

Cal Lutheran

Andrea is a sophomore at California Lutheran University. She's currently trying out many different career paths, driven by her creative passions to help people. She's a dreamer who has the discipline to turn these dreams into her reality. The moment she starts thinking rationally is the moment she has lost all hope. Andrea believes in being irrational, and taking risks. She cares to travel the world in the hope to be exposed to as many viewpoints as possible. Andrea wants to help people live the lives they desire. She believes in the insane kind of love, the one that drives you crazy. She believes deeply in Jay Gatsby and Peter Parker. Andrea is an artist at heart and a scientist by nature. She wants it all. She wants to make an impact.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!