outdoor hc 3
outdoor hc 3
Original photo by Lily Borror
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

I’ve always tried to be as eco-conscious as possible, but sometimes, there’s just no way around plastic packaging and products that can’t be recycled. Some of the hardest products to work around are those relating to food and hygiene. However, there are a few products on the rise that are eco-friendly and focus on all-around sustainability that I think everyone should try!

If you haven’t seen the awesome Marie Bee Bloom biodegradable mask circulating on Instagram or Twitter by now, then you definitely need to check it out. The one thing I’ve seen during the pandemic that makes me upset is discarded masks tumbling down streets and getting stuck in trees, bushes, and even gardens. This biodegradable rice paper mask actually has flower seeds in it, so when it is disposed of, it blooms! Instead of having nasty blue artificial masks floating around and piling up in landfills, this mask will ensure that our environment is being protected just as much as our health. Right now, the masks are only available in Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands, but Marie Bee Bloom is planning to release these masks worldwide as soon as possible, so keep an eye out.

face masks
Photo by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels

Two things that I feel waste the most plastic in my life are disposable razors and hand soap. Now, I won’t have to worry about it anymore thanks to Kai Group and Blueland. Kai Group, a Japan-based company, just introduced the world’s first paper razor that can actually resist water. It comes in a cardboard-like package, and the base design of the handle and blade holder just needs a few simple origami folds to assemble. It is lightweight, can easily be transported, and limits plastic use by almost 98%. I’m super excited for it to come to the U.S.

However, one product that’s already available in the U.S. is the Blueland cleaning kit. The “Clean Suite” package includes tablets that dissolve in water for bathroom cleaner, window cleaner, and hand soap, as well as 7 plastic bottles that are not only reusable but deemed “forever bottles” by the Blueland group. You only have to buy the plastic once, unlike having to return to Bath and Body Works every few months to stock up on multiple soap bottles that will eventually make their way into the trash. This is an awesome deal, not just price-wise, but also for someone who wants to be eco-friendly, so head over to their website to check it out.

The last product that I wanted to share is quite honestly the coolest. Notpla has produced edible, biodegradable packaging for water, juice, sauce, and even alcohol. It is made out of seaweed and plants, and it reduces the food plastic packaging carbon footprint by 68% percent. It’s called Ooho! packaging, and it’s recently been used to replace plastic cups and bottles at sporting events. Plastic water bottles are a huge waste, but Notpla is paving the way to eliminate them altogether. That’s a huge win for the environment!

illustration of three plastic water bottles
Photo by LillyCantabile from Pixabay
Some of these products are not yet accessible to the American public, but within the next few months, they may become widely available. I’m always looking to reduce my carbon footprint, and I encourage others to do the same as well. Even if it’s something as simple as switching out plastic razors for paper ones, we can make a big difference. I think you should take a look at these eco-friendly products and give them a try as soon as you can. I know that I will!

Alea Lehr

Cal Lutheran '21

A Biology major with a love for anything and everything in the ocean! Any time away from examining coral structures, wading through streams, looking at cells, or grappling immunohistofluorescence is spent reading, writing, and baking. (She has the best banana bread recipe) Though she mostly composes scientific papers, creative writing is her true passion, and when she isn't coming up with an article, she's jotting down ideas for novels. During a bad case of writer's block, she tries to find inspiration by talking to her best friend, and dog, Bear.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!