This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Once upon a time there was this brave young woman who embarked on a lifechanging journey to extraordinary places she had never been before. Before this incredible adventure, she felt lost, confused and having recently broken up with her lover, she was unsure of what she really wanted in life. She then decided to put herself out of her comfort zone on a quest for self-discovery. As she traveled around the world , she discovered some of life’s most simple and beautiful pleasures and was finally able to find the inner peace and balance of true love.  

LOL… did you really think I was talking about myself?

That is the story of Elizabeth Gilbert, distinctively known for her published memoir which was eventually created into a film starring Julia Roberts: Eat Pray Love. While that story above is not my own, it does have many similarities with my experience living in France for a year. First of all, just like Elizabeth, I was lost and unsure of what I really wanted in life the summer before going abroad (perhaps in a much less dramatic way, but still). What made it even worse? My pathetic excuse of a boyfriend at the time and some of my so-called “best friends” were being shady and dishonest all summer. The end of that relationship before going to France was the biggest blessing in disguise. God knew it was time to take the trash out. THANK U, NEXT was an actual mood because what came next was more incredible than I could have ever imagined. The most notable similarity between Elizabeth’s story and mine was that some of its main messages resonate with some of the most valuable life lessons I learned while abroad. Most notably, in putting myself out of my comfort zone in pursuit of what I’m most passionate about, I truly learned to love who I am and what I stand for. Then after learning to love myself, I was finally able to fall in love with someone else.

Traveling, learning languages and about different cultures and meeting new people from around the world are what I love to do more than anything else, yet everyone has different things they love to do, and different things they love about themselves. However there is one thing most people have in common: we LOVE food. As Valentines Day is a day to celebrate what we love, I wanted to celebrate the experience that taught me how to love myself through something we all can relate to and love. So here are some of my favorite places through photos of or relating to the food I ate there. I also included a translation of “I love you”  in the language of each country. 

Amour in France. I love you = Je t’aime 

Getting lost in the lavender fields of Provence. There is lavender flavored ice cream, macarons, nougat, and pretty much anything else in southern France. Beautiful places and delicious food are always connected in someway. 

Note to everyone: pizza is a worldwide favorite. This pizza is southern France style chèvre et miel (goat cheese and honey). Yes. I realize it may sound not so great… But it was amazing! You never know what you’re gonna like before you try it.  One stereotype about the French is true: they do eat LOTS of baguettes! Ladurée on the Champs Elysées in Paris sells desserts that are fancy and delicious which make up for the price…LOL 

Amore in Italy. I love you = Ti amo  

Gelato tastes ve(NICE)! 

According to our Airbnb host in Florence, Selena Gomez had recently eaten at this restaurant. 

Italy really took a Pizza my heart. Now that’s Amore!

​*Heart eyes emoji*

Amour in Morocco. I love you= أحبّك​ (Arabic) or Je t’aime (French) Morocco is where I met my boyfriend and his amazingly kind and generous family. His mom cooked the best food I ate in Morocco hands down. Tajines and Couscous are popular Moroccan dishes. The cuisine is colorful and flavorful. Mint tea is a Moroccan favorite. There’s nothing like spilling some tea with friends while enjoying a warm glass of Moroccan mint tea. #teapartygoals A vendor in the street markets selling a huge variety of Moroccan sweets. 

Amour, liebe, and Amore in Switzerland. I love you =  Je t’aime (French), Ich liebe dich (German) and Ti amo (Italian) (yeah that’s right, they speak 3+ languages over there) 

We hiked up a mountain in the Swiss alps near Geneva… Hiking while traveling is a beautiful activity for 2 main reasons: 1. Being out in nature & 2. Hiking = exercise = a valid excuse to eat more food. Geneva (and Switzerland in general) is known for its chocolate… so you can bet how tasty this chocolate cake was.There are no words to describe how great this meal was so I’ll just leave you with this photo. 

Amor in Spain. I love you = Te quiero 

If it was not for this beautiful queen in the photo next to me, I may have never been able to experience the beauty of southern Spain, nor would i have been to communicate with anyone without her translating. Friends who travel together, stay together.  ​

Paella- a main Spanish specialty! 

Tapas and sangria are more t​han just a meal- it’s an experience.  Churros con chocolate is not the same anywhere else. 

Amor in Portugal. I love you = Eu te amo. 

A glass of wine + a pretty view = perfection. Note: drinking regulations in Europe are different than in the USA, the legal age of consumption is lower. 

Seafood is a specialty in Lisbon. The salmon was very rich and flavorful!  Pastels de Nata are a national pastry. 

As Valentine’s Day approaches us, I think there is so much emphasis on romantic relationships that it is easy to lose focus on other very important things like loving ourselves and loving what we do. I want to share this story because I honestly hope that all girls realize that their happiness and fulfillment matter more than any relationship. I learned that if you’re truly focused on what you’re passionate about and on being the best version of yourself, you will find that you really “don’t need no man” (or woman) for happiness and fulfillment. You have the ability to create that for yourself. You are amazing and worth it. So let’s just enjoy life and eat, slay, love.

Kerstin Westerlund

Cal Lutheran '20

Hello! My name is Kerstin Westerlund (pronounced "sher-stin") and I am a double major in Marketing Communication and Global Studies with a minor in French at California Lutheran University! A fun fact about me is that I am 100% Swedish-American and I played the violin in a Scandinavian music group for 8 years! Other than that, design, photography, traveling to cool places, learning different languages, fashion, cheesy dad jokes and OF COURSE writing Her Campus articles are some of many things that make me very happy! I hope you enjoy my articles!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!