This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Drive-In Movies. You’ve seen them in your favorite 80’s movie (shout-out to Grease). But, have you been to one yet? Since movie theatres are closed, there’s been a resurgence of drive-in movies.  And the good news is: there’s still time for you to go and enjoy one if you haven’t yet.  I went to several different drive-ins over the summer, so I’ll only list my favorite ones (they are not listed in any particular order).

Backyard movie projector outside
Photo by Roberto Nickson from Pexels

• Concerts In Your Car

This is a drive-in at the Ventura County Fairgrounds. They have it set up in the parking lot, with four different screens.  They not only do movies, but they have live concerts as well. I went to see The Princess Bride here a few weeks ago, and it was great. You’re allowed to sit in chairs outside of your car (or in it) but you have to wear a mask (please do!).  Movies are $29 per car and concerts vary on price depending on the performer. They currently have events scheduled through October.

You can find more info here: https://www.concertsinyourcar.com

• Street Food Cinema

This drive-in has several locations throughout Ventura and Los Angeles counties.  I’ve been to their location at the Americana at the Brand where I saw The Avengers and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. This one was more expensive ($20 per car and then $8 per person) but it was still a lot of fun. You have to stay in your car at this one, and masks on if you get out at any time. They currently have movies scheduled through September at either their Simi Valley or Malibu locations. 

Find the Schedule here: https://streetfoodcinema.com/schedule/los-angeles/

Vintage-looking regal movie theater
Photo by Aditya Vyas on Unsplash

I also wanted to include a couple of other local ones that I haven’t personally been to, but I have heard about:

I’ve found that drive-ins are a great way to get out of the house and feel (semi) normal again. Hopefully, you will too. It makes for a great date night, friends’ night, or even family night (if you’re not tired of yours yet). Plus, who doesn’t love a good movie night?

Bari Cashman

Cal Lutheran '21

Bari Cashman is a student at California Lutheran University. She is currently pursuing a degree in Marketing Communications. She is an avid reader and writer.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!