This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Despite the white faces and the skulls, it’s not meant to be a spooky holiday. Día de los Muertos, or the Day of the Dead, is a three-day celebration from October 31st until November 2nd, that honors the dead. Although marked throughout Latin America, Día de los Muertos is most strongly associated with Mexico, where the tradition originated. In fact, this tradition has expanded to Mexican-Americans in the U.S. and other countries.

The holiday originated in Mexico and is now celebrated all across Latin America. It is a very unique holiday for many reasons. In the United States, it is common culture for people to meet a death with mourning, but in Latin America, death is met with celebration because that is what the dead would enjoy more. That is also why the decorations are always bright and colorful, and lively music is played; it is meant to be a time of joy for everyone. Celebrations differ from home to home but everyone is united under the common factor of celebrating the lives of their deceased loved ones. Friends and family gather up the dead’s favorite foods, drinks, candies, etc. onto an ofrenenda, or altar, to greet them when they awaken and arrive on October 31.

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

Here’s everything you need to know about this beautiful holiday and how to celebrate it:

When it’s celebrated

The official dates are November 1st -Día de los Angelitos, dedicated to deceased youth, but also celebrated as All Saints Day- and November 2nd, Día de los Difuntos, for adults. Some believe in beginning celebrations on the evening of October 31, proceeding to the graveyard where it is believed that the souls of young children rise at midnight. Families tend to make colorful altars in their homes in honor of their deceased loved ones, and the altars are decorated with flowers, candles, their loved one’s favorite food, and pan de muerto, a slightly sweet bread specifically made for this time. The festivities continue in the cemetery, where families bring picnics, play music, and sometimes even spend the night as a way to celebrate the lives of those who are no longer on this earth.

It’s not Halloween

While death and spirits often inspire fear on Halloween, Día De Los Muertos celebrates and honors the dead instead. The tradition dates back to the Aztecs, who had a month-long celebration of death in honor of Mictecacihuatl, the goddess of the underworld. Due to the intervention of the Catholic, Spanish Conquistadores, the celebration now coincides with All Saints’ and All Souls’ days.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

How it’s celebrated

During Día De Los Muertos, families visit cemeteries to hold vigils and bring ofrendas (offerings) to the deceased, such as flowers, candles, and food. Parties are often held during the annual event, which can involve the entire community, and it is thought that spirits will bless those who honor their dead relatives with good luck, wisdom and protection. At home, families create altars and honor the dead with sweetbreads, the deceased’s favorite food, marigolds (the flower of death), fresh water, trinkets, and sugar skulls—which are inscribed with the name of a deceased relative and eaten as a reminder of death being a sweet continuation of the cycle of life. Skulls are commonly associated with the tradition and are thought to date back to the pre-Hispanic era.

All this talk about the dead can seem pretty morbid, but it is actually quite the opposite. The festivities, vibrant colors, and sweet aromas floating around the communities are meant to welcome the spirits and bring families closer. The tradition of bringing happiness to the dead instead of spending time mourning might be new to some, but it is something to appreciate. It is near and dear to many. 

Photo courtesy of https://media.giphy.com

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!