freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Dear Significant Other…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Dear Significant Other,

At this point we’ve been together for more than two (!) years, and I wanted to thank you for some things because I really am just ridiculously in love with you.

Thank you for being unapologetically yourself. There is no one I know who cares less about how you are perceived by others, and it makes me want to be more like you.

Thank you for also not buying into stigmas, for doing things that make you feel comfortable even if there’s an unjustified label attached. You remind me that everyone should feel free to do what feels right in their own skin.

Thank you for always bringing me what I need, whether it’s Starbucks, my forgotten homework or tampons–I knew that key to my house would come in handy.

Thank you for driving me around and accompanying me on my errands. I’m getting better with my fear of driving, but for the last two years, you’ve chaperoned me all around Southern California (and made trips to the bank or the doctor a lot more fun).

Thank you for being the most hilarious person I know. You, in a cliche, make me honestly laugh until I cry, and I could listen to your accents all day.

Thank you for caring about my family the way that you do. Whether it’s my sisters, cousins, parents or anyone, thank you for being yourself and making everyone love you the way I do.

Thank you for being someone I can talk to about anything. My most unfiltered self pretty much resides in your passenger seat.

Thank you for always adjusting our cuddling positions to whatever I want, even if we just switched it two minutes ago (also, thanks for the Netflix massages).

Thank you for encouraging healthy behaviors, whether physically or mentally. You’re my favorite gym buddy and yoga partner.

Thank you for always trying new things, and in general, just getting excited about everything you do.

Thank you for your welcoming family, who let me into their lives. I love them a lot.

Thank you for always believing in me and encouraging my dreams, even when I’m scared or unsure or think something is too hard. You are my strongest support system, and I hope I’m the same for you.

Thank you for always letting me have one more kiss when you drop me off, because neither of us really want to leave.

Thank you for not being afraid or weird about talking about the future.

Thank you, though, for reminding me to always stay present. When you’re a hyper-planner, it can be hard to exist in the moment but you’ve taught me how to do that.

Thank you for our adventures, and everything we have done and will do.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for all of this and so much more. You make everyday so special and these past two years with you have been the best of my life. I love you.

Love, Your Significant Other.

*All photos courtesy of author

My name is Samantha Meyer, but most people call me Sam. I'm a freshman at Cal Lutheran University in Thousand Oaks, California. I'm an Interdisciplinary Studies Major, and I hope to teach first grade, become a principal, and write novels. I have a high school background in journalistic writing and photography. You can find me at your nearest Trader Joes or coffee shop, catching up on world news, Cosmo's snap story or just snacking on some quality fruits.
Dani Kluss

Cal Lutheran

Dani is a senior at California Lutheran University and is the Founder and President of Her Campus Cal Lutheran. She is majoring in Communications and minoring in Theatre Arts. In her free time she enjoys to volunteer on the stage management team at her local professional theatre, watch an unhealthy amount of Gilmore Girls on Netflix, write for her blog (http://www.DaniDearest.com/) and plan trips to Disneyland.