This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Ever since I could read, that’s all I did. I was one of those kids who always had their heads buried in a book, the words swirling in my mind creating a world I could only visit through my imagination. In high school, however, I didn’t dedicate enough time as I would have liked to read and hence I went from finishing 3 books in a month to taking weeks to get through just one. I was dead set on changing that when I got to university and now as a sophomore, I think I have made a good amount of progress, middle school me would be proud. One of my first friends on campus, whose one of my closest friends, is also a fellow bibliophile and just happens to be a writer in the process of writing a pretty incredible book (A Flame in the Sky by Eevie Mae) and we worked on coming up with a unique TBR list for those who, like me, are always looking for new book recommendations.

“Books are a uniquely portable magic.”

Stephen King (American author of horror, supernatural fiction, suspense, crime, science-fiction, and fantasy novels)

Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin

Genres: Fantasy Fiction, Romance

This one was on my list for the longest time and I just got to it recently and absolutely loved it. It’s a beautiful combination of action, romance, magic, humor, and suspense, and the protagonist, Lou, is a bold and mischievous woman which was quite refreshing. One of my favorite aspects of this book is while reading about Lou’s journey you get to see a few words in French and imagine navigating the streets of France as the entire plot, although set in a fantasy realm, was inspired by historical France. If you’re looking for your next fantasy romance with witches and magic (and the enemies to lovers trope) this is the perfect book.

They Both Die At the End by Adam Silvera

Genres: Young adult fiction, Adventure fiction

This book is probably one of the most emotionally devastating yet uplifting stories I have ever read. Following the journey of two teenage boys discovering they only have one day left to live, the author beautifully describes how their lives change on this unforgettable day. Although the ending of the story is revealed in the title itself, the plot is captivating with the theme of self-discovery and acceptance including characters with diverse backgrounds. This heart-wrenching novel is a must-read for those that enjoy a good cry and are in search of a unique book.

The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon

Genres: Fantasy Fiction, Romance

Most fantasy books have one thing in common- the genre caters to men and their stories and lacks a strong female protagonist. As described by the author, The Priory of the Orange Tree is a “feminist retelling of Saint George and the Dragon.” and this is just one of the things that makes this book so unique. The representation of women and the diversity amongst the characters and their relationships come together so beautifully and on top of the different types of love shown throughout, the main romance plots are LGBT+, which is practically unheard of in epic fantasy and makes the plot that much more interesting. Although The Priory of the Orange Tree is quite a large book, once you pick it up you’re hooked. 

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

Genres: Fantasy, Romance

I will never stop recommending this book. I absolutely adore Greek Mythology and this adaptation of Homer’s Iliad by Madeline Miller was one of the best romance novels I had read in a while. I usually tend to gravitate towards the thriller or fantasy genre and books that are not too heavy on romance as I’m not much for romantic plots; however, this book quickly became one of my all-time favorites. The Song of Achilles is a retelling of Greece’s greatest hero, Achilles, from the point of view of his best friend Patroclus but the big twist: Madeline Miller casts the story as a romance between Achilles and Patroclus all while staying true to Greek legends and giving Patroclus a back story that makes perfect sense, and tracing the friendship, and eventual romance, between the two young men during Trojan War. If you’re not a huge fan of mythologies this book might move slowly for you in the beginning but it gets so much better once you’re a couple of chapters in. Just be prepared to be heartbroken and devastated once you’re done. 

“That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.”

Jhumpa Lahiri

I highly recommend everyone to check out at least one of these books and treat yourself. You just got done with midterms and after all that studying, you deserve an escape from reality. What better way to do that than through a good book!

Malaika N

Cal Lutheran '23

Hi, my name is Malaika. I'm a part of the Writing, Editing, and Social Media team here at Her Campus Cal Lutheran. I'm currently a junior majoring in Computer Science and I'm the president of the Women in STEM club at CLU. I love to read, write, binge-watch a new movie or series, and listen to music in my free time. Some of my interests are Women in STEM, Artificial Intelligence, and traveling and I'm always open to new music or book recommendations.