Confessions of a People Watcher

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

It was a particularly hot Tuesday around noon or so, the spine looking like the 101 North during rush hour on a Friday afternoon, and I was casually sipping on my iced coffee whilst working on an assignment due in a few hours (honestly I was surprised I could even snag a table outside at this time of day). Upon looking up from my laptop, I couldn’t help but notice how different everyone was from the person walking next to them, so many diverse walks of life literally walking past me in that moment. The various social interactions I saw between people on the spine that day intrigued me, and I took on a more focused stare.

But I should be honest here, I wasn’t just noticing people. I began to watch them. Now that’s not “watching them” like Robert De Niro in Meet the Parents when he was hesitant to let Greg into the Byrnes Circle of Trust. This is objectively observing each individual human as they pass through my line of vision and subsequently wondering what their story is, taking note of their facial expression, pondering what their favorite things in life may be and so on. It’s mildly creepy, but a major source of entertainment.

Image: Tumblr 

Objective people watching has always been a favorite pastime of mine. Thinking back on it now, it started at a pretty young age, maybe 4 or 5-ish. My mom and I would always just sit somewhere in public after spending the afternoon together (I was a morning kindergarten kid), and just be still. We’d watch, sometimes in silence sometimes while talking with one another, for what felt like hours. So many people, so many different faces, walks, talks. The mom with three kids was visibly stressed out but kept strangely perfect composure; the man in a suit was walking hurriedly but confidently while holding a laptop, a coffee and a cell phone all at once; and the elderly couple that was chatting and laughing like they had just met, but had actually been laughing for years. It’s a cliché scene, but it would actually happen in those moments.

Sometimes my mom and I wouldn’t even set aside time to watch people, we would be out and about and just so happen to take particular notice to particular people doing particular things. We still do it now, and still get just as much enjoyment out of the familiar hobby. It’s something that we feel is more fun when done together. Watching people with an objective eye has taught me to look at people for what they are: people. Not judging the value of the clothes on their back, the quirkiness of their laugh, or the social oddities they have. It’s remarkable what they can teach you. It’s not my place to be judging a stranger for who they are, because they are in fact a stranger to me. I don’t know them.

Image: Giphy

Having an objective lens on my eye has sharpened my ability to recognize my place in this world, and realize that people are probably watching me too.  In short, there’s really nothing to confess about my secret-but-not-secret pastime. You learn to take society for face value, for its eclecticism and idiosyncrasies. It’s exactly what it sounds like: watching people. But when ‘watching’ turns into admiring and appreciating the people and diversity around you, you know you’re doing it right.

Image: Giphy

o s

Bowdoin '17

*
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!