This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Brad Edens was born in Santa Maria, CA and lived there through graduating high school. He spent his summers working on a farm and played football and baseball growing up and all throughout his high school experience. Brad is currently majoring in Criminal Justice and chose this course of study because the justice system really interests him. He has family that works in law enforcement and enjoys learning about police, courts, corrections, as well as how they handle certain issues like prison overcrowding or human trafficking. In the future, Brad plans to pursue a career with the United States Coast Guard through an officer commissioning program.

Read on to learn more about soon to be alumni, Brad!

Her Campus at Cal Lutheran: Why did you decide to attend Cal Lutheran?

Brad Edens: I decided on Cal Lutheran for a variety of reasons. I am a first generation college student and wanted to attend a university that cares about my success. With small class sizes, motivated professors, a faith base, and programs like Student Support Services, I was sold!

HCCLU: Since your undergrad education is coming to an end, how would you say your time at Cal Lutheran went?

BE: My time at Cal Lu has gone better than I could have ever expected. I have had some major growth academically, socially, and professionally.

HCCLU: What has been your most memorable moment here?

BE: One of my most memorable moments here at CLU would probably be my first day of college classes as a freshman. I arrived to class on time and made it through the duration of the lecture. I was the first student out the door and in front of the whole class, I fell on my skateboard! An embarrassing moment to say the least, but something I will always remember.

HCCLU: What have you been involved in these past four years?

BE: I have been involved with Residence Life and the Student Conduct Office for the past three years as an RA; I am currently the Senior RA in Grace Hall. I have served as a Department Assistant for the Criminology and Criminal Justice Department. I help lead the Criminal Justice Student Association (CJSA) and My Gen My Fight. Finally, I help lead a middle school youth group called Wyldlife in the Conejo Valley which is a branch of the organization known as Young Life.

HCCLU: What advice would you give to current and future undergrad students?

BE: To work hard and soak up as many opportunities as you can. Along the way, network, network, network.

HCCLU: What professor, staff, or faculty has inspired/impacted you the most?

BE: Dr. Helen Lim has inspired and impacted me the most by being an educator, mentor, and role model on how to always give 100% and to live your life in a manner where you selflessly serve others.

All Photos Courtesy of Brad Edens

Leslie Madrigal

Cal Lutheran '20

Hello, my name is Leslie Madrigal. I am a senior at Cal Lutheran double-majoring in Criminal Justice and Spanish with a minor in Ethnic Studies! Besides being a part of Her Campus, I am also the Co-President for the Latin American Student Organization, Vice President of My Generation My Fight, and Secretary for the Criminal Justice Student Association. I work on campus at the Office of the President as well as having an off campus job in retail. And I volunteer for the Safe Passage Program through the Criminal Justice Department.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!