This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Our cutie this week is a worldly musician and has a great sense of humor. We were granted the honor of sitting down with him and getting to learn more about what makes him tick. Learn more about this green-eyed cutie below!

Name: Caleb Solberg

Major:  Music

Year:  2018

Hometown: Quito, Ecuador

Favorite Sport:  Basketball

Favorite Food:  Fanesca

Relationship:  Single

Height: I’m 6 foot and two inches. Those are two different measurements.

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: How do you feel about being a campus cutie?

CS: I’m actually quite honored! I must be something special for whoever nominated me and I hope I can help others feel the same way too! It’s flattering, and it resulted in an awesome picture.

HC: Ultimate celebrity crush and why? 

CS: I actually got to think about this one. Neck and neck tie between young Britney and Steve Rodgers.

HC: Where is your favorite place on campus?

CS:  Ullman to Go at 10:30 when the breakfast burrito is hot off the oven followed by your room where I’ll eat it.

HC: What is your favorite TV show?

CS: Here are my top 5: Chuck, Heroes, How I Met Your Mother, Friends, and The Vampire Diaries #noshame

HC: If you could describe thyself in one word what would it be and why?

CS: Chill… just kidding… Ecuadorian… just kidding… Can I get a lifeline? I want to call my mom. Okay… my mom said Adorable.

HC: What is it like being from Ecuador?

CS: It’s a little bitter-sweet, but in the end it’s one of the coolest things ever! On one hand, it’s hard to relate with lots of the people I’ve run into who have lived in California for most if not all their lives (and there’s nothing wrong with that), but I’m so grateful that I’m bicultural and can share some of what I grew up with with all the people who haven’t been exposed to the Ecuadorian culture! It also makes me sound really interesting to some people who haven’t experienced South America and I love telling them about how different it is. Honestly, I hope some people decide to visit me down there sometime just so I can share more of it with them.

HC:  How long have you been playing the guitar and what is your favorite song to play and why?

CS: L’hymne à L’amour is my favorite song to play simply because it’s beautiful, it’s French, and just really nice. I think I first tried playing guitar around the age of 14; however, I didn’t quite start dedicating myself to it till I was maybe 15 or 16.

HC: Are there any other instruments that you play?

CS: I grew up playing a lot of instruments, but the only one I still know how to play is the Tenor Saxophone.

HC:  What are the cultural differences between here and Ecuador?

CS: One of the biggest differences is how intimate the people are. It’s shown in the way that people greet each other, like a kiss on the cheek (but not between guys), and everybody always greets people individually and says goodbye to them individually. People are just more connected I would say, a little bit like a family, and the rest is just built off of that. There’s dancing at all the parties and I’m not talking about grinding. There’s a lot more nature built into lots of cities, you know?

HC: What do you miss about Ecuador?

CS: The people, the Spanish, the culture, the food, my mom, and that you can eat guinea pig and it’s not weird.

HC: What influenced you to come to Cal Lutheran?

CS: Papa Solberg was the main reason I came to CLU. He was a student here many years ago and was the one that made me aware of the school. I was going to come to a college in California no matter what as the majority of my extended family lives in the states and therefore I wouldn’t be completely on my own after the transition from Ecuador to the US. My brother Joshua Solberg also comes here, but that was just a bonus. And then again the scholarships made CLU the best financial option!

HC: What’s your favorite thing about America?

CS: Giving purple nurples to my roommate, Josh Cadena. 

HC: Being the foreign one, how do you get along with your roommates?

CS:  I get along with them pretty well. Being a multicultural kid, I’ve grown up traveling a lot and experiencing a lot of different things but I’m still able to connect with each roommate in a different way. Like with Josh, I’ve got the music. Mario, I’ve got Scream Queens and Spanish music. With Ramón, I’ve got late night real talks and a shared passion for food.

HC: Favorite chick flick?

CS: The Vow. Period. End of story.

HC: What are your favorite video games and would you like your significant other to play video games with you?

CS: Hmm… Let’s see League of Legends, Killing Floor 2, and NBA 2k15, however, I only like playing these with other people. My favorite games of all time are Halo/Pokemon. I would love her to play video games with me!

HC: What are your deal breakers in a relationship?

CS: Lack of self-confidence, bad sense of humor, a closed mind, and insufficient drive.

HC: What do you look for in a significant other?

CS: Two things in particular: the first is what I like to call “fire.” I call it fire but it’s passion and also the determination to pursue what they want. The other thing is a good sense of humor that’s compatible with mine. I like them to be their own person and I’m lucky enough to join them for the ride.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

CS:  I see myself as a trophy husband eating a four course breakfast while my wife is out in the real world providing for me. I’m looking forward to playing NBA 2k26 and calling up my boys to jam out later and work on our new album. Caleb III, my first born, a.k.a my heir, will have cleaned his d*mn room and will be ready to star in our next big hit.

HC: What is your ideal first date?

CS: She picks me up, drives to Ecuador, while I nap. We listen to Jack Johnson on the way. We stop for some Panda on the way.  We end up deciding it’s too long of a drive so we decide to rent a private jet for the day and go to this one place in Ecuador that I believe was the first of its kind. It’s a restaurant underground in pitch darkness where you are served by blind waiters and we’d try to feed each other the surprise dish. Later on we would go ice skating and salsa dancing. Then end the night at a look out. Then she’d drive me back home, tuck me in bed, give me a kiss on the cheek just like my mom would, and then go home because Mama always said that she can’t sleep in the same bed until she got a ring on that finger.

HC: Summer or winter?

CS: Winter

HC: Chipotle or Chick-fil-a?

CS: Panda Express

HC: Favorite band or music?

CS: CASH, Jack Johnson, and a whole bunch of everything, but not country or ratchet music

HC: Favorite Hobbies?

CS: My favorite hobbies are jamming out with my buds, watching all those awesome movies, tv shows and cartoons that we’ve all seen as kids, and getting to know people! Seriously, it’s awesome meeting new people. Oh, and basketball is pretty cool too

HC: Favorite date?

CS: March 24, 1996

HC: Would you rather be indoors or outside?

CS: Depends on which has more spiders.

HC: If you were stranded on a deserted island, what would be the one object you would bring with you and why?

CS: I would bring “An Idiot’s Guide to: How to Build a Raft”, duh. Or maybe I’d bring Sheila around for some nice company! (She’s my guitar and I love playing with her)

Mackenzie Hiatt

Cal Lutheran

Mackenzie is currently a Business Major with a Minor in Chemistry at Cal Lutheran.
Makaila Warga

Cal Lutheran

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!