This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

At the beginning of this year, many were looking forward to enjoying the start of a new decade. Unfortunately, COVID struck down many of the plans for enjoying the new year, so rather than review this year, I’ll be reviewing some of the top tracks from the 2010s! 

1.) Adele – Rolling in the Deep

This track was an instant hit in 2011 and was the title track of Adele’s sophomore album, 21. Adele’s high notes and percussion in the song make it super catchy, and the song went on to win Record of the Year, as well as the album winning Album of the Year at the Grammy’s. This single will remain a karaoke favorite, and many fans love belting out the chorus high notes. 

iPhone with headphones on desk
Photo by Jessica Lewis from Unsplash
2.) Carly Rae Jepsen – Call Me Maybe

The following year after Rolling in the Deep, this single went viral for its catchy chorus, and even to date many still turn to it for an upbeat party beat. Because of this song’s popularity, it even ended being chosen for the popular dance game, Just Dance 4, and featured a dance inspired by the song. 

3.) DJ Snake and Lil Jon – Turn Down for What

Turn Down for What was released in December 2013, and was one of the defining songs of 2014. In March 2014, it reached 1 million sold copies and became the seventh best selling song of the year. This song will go down in the 2010s as one of the most popular dance songs, so dance away if you loved this song! 

looking out window wearing headphones
Photo by Matthew Henry from Burst/Shopify

4.) Katy Perry – Teenage Dream

This song was a staple for every one in 2010, and for those of us that sang along while driving, I’m right there with you! Even many years later the song still stands as one of Katy Perry’s most memorable songs and was even covered on the show Glee. So for all the singers out there, sing your heart out to this classic pop song! 

5.) Lorde – Royals

This song was released in 2013 and took a different approach to the pop scene. This song topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart for nine weeks and went on to win Song of the Year at the 2014 Grammy Awards. Those who preferred something different than the traditional pop genre enjoyed this alternative hit from Lorde and her success from her debut single led to her 2017 album, Melodrama. 

airpods and phone on laptop
Photo by Behar Zenuni from Unsplash

Though there are countless other singles from the decade, we can play our favorites whilst being stuck in quarantine, as a reminder of the times. I highly recommend if you haven’t already, to make a playlist of your favorite 2010s songs, and throw a mini dance party while being at home. Remember to be safe, wash your hands, and wear a mask outside! 

Alex Warrender

Cal Lutheran '23

Hello, my name is Alex, and I'm the Senior Writing and Editing Director for the Cal Lutheran University chapter. I’m a senior Psychology Major who loves to devour books and write poetry in my spare time. I also love to play D&D and go thrifting when I can.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!