contour
contour
Sara Marsetti
Style > Beauty

The Best Way to Try Name Brand Products (Ipsy)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

We all know how hard it is to be a college student, but it only gets worse if you are someone who enjoys buying new makeup, hair products, and skincare items to try. I understand how you feel, so here is a life-hack to get name brand products to try for only $12 a month! It has all the name brands that you wish you could afford but it also has cheaper options that you may fall in love with. The variety it provides can really help you venture out and find new must-haves for your makeup bag!

Ipsy is a personalized beauty subscription service that sends you products each month and it is extremely easy to get started on it! Ipsy has 3 different subscription levels that we will break down to make sure you are picking the bag with the best price point for you that also meets all your needs. 

Glam Bag ($12)

The cheapest bag is the $12 Glam Bag which comes with 5 beauty products that are worth about $50. This is what I recommend for college students since it is the cheapest, but you can also get samples that will help you narrow out what you like and what you don’t. This is the least wasteful version if you are more focused on testing a variety of products, especially if you (or your skin) are picky.

In one year you will receive 60 samples for $144! This will give you so many options when getting ready every day.

Glam Bag Plus ($25)

The next level of bag offered is the Glam Bag Plus which offers 5 full-sized products worth $120 for only $25! This is probably the best bag for the price, especially if you are just trying to get products that will last you a longer amount of time. This can also be beneficial for skin and hair care products because the results may only show themselves after a few weeks, which full-sized products should last.

If you think about it, though, over the course of a year you will get 60 full-sized products for $300 if you pay monthly, which is honestly a steal!

Combined Bag ($37)

If you can’t decide between the first 2 options, there is the $37 Combined Bag that is the 2 previously stated bags together! The worth is $170+ which is definitely getting the most products for the smallest amount but $37 may be too much for the average college student. This bag will give you the benefits of the other 2 bags and allows for a variety of full-sized products and testers, which is honestly every beauty lovers’ dream.

Glam Bag Ultimate ($50) 

This bag isn’t given as an option when you first join, unfortunately, but you can switch plans around whenever you would like! This bag is definitely for those who are serious about beauty because they will receive 12 products a month for $50! This bag will come with 8 full-sized products and 4 deluxe-size samples worth about $250! 

Over one year, you would receive 144 products for $600! This is a perfect option if you have friends who you could share the products with or even use them as gifts since you will have so many in just a short period of time. 

When you decide you want to join, it will ask you 12 questions to know what color products to send to you and what you will get the most use of. It is also important to know that if you pay for the entire year at once, you only actually pay for 11 bags because they will gift you 1 for free! This may be unrealistic on a college budget, but if you know you will love it, it may be a way to save money in the long run. 

From one beauty lover to another, I hope this helps you find new products that you could only dream of!

Francheska Cal

Cal Lutheran '20

Francheska is a Senior at California Lutheran University and is President of Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. She is majoring in Interdisciplinary Educational Studies with a minor in Psychology. Francheska imagines herself as a second grade teacher in an elementary school within the next 5 years in the Los Angeles area.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!