This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

It is an entirely new diet, mindset and lifestyle. When I first transitioned to veganism, I slipped up a couple of times before I finally got the hang of things. Here are my few tips to make the transition much smoother:

1. Always carry snacks with you.

I repeat, ALWAYS carry snacks with you. When you are first transitioning, your body is adjusting to a different energy source. A common issue with new vegans is that they do not eat enough. Plants metabolize a lot quicker than animal products so chances are you will get hungry at weird times. Along with that, when you are first transitioning, it is difficult to know where you can/cannot eat and what you can/cannot eat. Your safest bet will always be to carry food around in your bag until you have a hang of things.

4. Take this as a new adventure.

Instead of feeling like you are being deprived of a lot of foods, take this as an opportunity to venture into all the food you would have otherwise never tried! For example, something I have loved is ice cream. If you come across ice cream made from cashews, you will realize how much more creamy it is than regular ice cream! You will also be pleasantly surprised by how much food you can have. I can usually eat what my friends are eating – I just ask for the vegetarian version without cheese.

Overall, just try to have a good time with your transition to veganism. Your experience can only be as good as you make it out to be. Know that you are making this world a better place and you are making an active effort for change.

Photos courtesy of Photopin.com

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!