Athletic Success Starts With Patrick Holmberg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: How did you first hear about Cal Lutheran

Patrick Holmberg: Growing up, I visited my Dad, who lived 15 minutes from the campus, several times a year and, admittedly, I never heard of CLU until my second year at MiraCosta Community College. I was recruited to play basketball by several schools, including CLU, and after visiting the campus and meeting the players, along with the Exercise Science faculty, I was sold.

HC: What are all the ways you are involved with Cal Lutheran?

PH: I am a CLU alumni (twice over); the school’s Strength and Conditioning coach and Assistant Director of Athletics; and, an adjunct faculty member in two departments (Exercise Science and Business).

HC: What is your favorite thing about being a strength and conditioning coach?

PH: My favorite thing about being a strength and conditioning coach is being in a training session with a group of motivated athletes. The sound of bars and bumper plates banging against the backdrop of music and encouragement is often the highlight of my day. I also really enjoy watching my athletes perform and, hopefully, perform well. Understanding all of the work they put in, affords a greater appreciation of their performances.

HC: What’s the most rewarding thing about training Cal Lutheran athletes?

PH: There are several reasons why my role at CLU is rewarding. First, the relationships that I am fortunate to build with the athletes I train, students I teach, and the sport coaches with whom I work are particularly gratifying. Second, I take great satisfaction in helping our athletes and teams reach their potential. I am continually amazed by their dedication, work ethic, and growth. Third, my role affords an outlet that satisfies my competitive nature. Finally, I have a passion for the field of strength and conditioning and working with my athletes affords a sense of purpose.

HC: What is your favorite sport to train?

PH: Any team that fosters a culture of accountability, work ethic, and togetherness is my favorite group to train. That aside, I enjoy working with strength/power sports, such as volleyball, football, and track and field – in particular, the sprint, jump, and throw events.

HC: What is your favorite sport to watch?

PH: Working with various groups has fostered an appreciation for less mainstream sports, such as track and field, gymnastics, and volleyball. Of the more popular sports, I enjoy watching college basketball and football.

HC: What is one thing a lot of people don’t know about you, but you think they should?

PH: Interesting question – If everyone knew, would it lose its interest? Nevertheless, I am a passionate traveler. Traveling enables unique perspective that clarifies purpose and a greater appreciation of the world. I have a three year-old dog named, Butch. Growing up in the Bay Area, I’m a diehard 49ers, Giants, and Warriors fan. I am awful with technology; I’m also probably the last person in America, or at least Southern California, without a social media account.

HC: What are some of your hobbies?

PH: I enjoy reading, weightlifting, fishing and, though I am absolutely terrible, surfing. Any activity that affords peace and a beautiful setting is up my alley.

HC: What is your favorite quote?

PH: “If it’s important to you, you’ll get it done. If not, you’ll find an excuse.”

Dianna Rohrer

Cal Lutheran

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!